Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Default PT HD 8 Creating Large Random WAV Files

Hi,

I'm hoping someone has come across this problem before and can help me.
We are running PT 8 HD on Windows XP in 4 studios. All machines are identical in every way. I recently noticed that our storage was filling up a bit to quickly. Upon further investigation it seems that all 4 machines are creating random WAV files within some sessions. All files across all PC's have a size of 3,575,107 kB (approx 3.5 GB). These WAV's have names of existing tracks within the session (eg. VOX_06) but a new version (eg. VOX. 07), is about 4 hrs long and is made up of digital distortion/clicks/pops, and some sound of other tracks within the session.

I haven't checked what samplerate these session were recorded in but most likely either 44.1 or 48 kHz.

I deleted average 200GB of each PC this morning.

Could this be a problem with the way we are consolidating tracks/sessions or a known problem with PT?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Re: PT HD 8 Creating Large Random WAV Files

Hi, I've run across this before on my Mac TDM systems, but it's been a long time.
Usually the session would crash after tracking and I'd notice the huge audio files, the corrupted audio was not playable.
I think I remember fixing it by creating a new session, but the 'bad files' were lost.

Come to think of it, the first time it happened was on my version 2 rig, Mac Quadra 800 and of course, SCSI drives. Many years ago.

To be happening on all your systems at once seems like something else.

You know in Prefs you can allocate how much disc space per track PT should be looking at per track?, I'd try messing with that.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 AM

Default Re: PT HD 8 Creating Large Random WAV Files

I'll have a look at the prefs like you suggest deafguy.. thanks. All four PC's were imaged from a common image so it may be something to do with prefs. Just as likely as being anything else.

Of course I'll still check this thread each day in the hope that someone could offer a definitive answer. I will post any findings in the case that it may help someone else.

Cheers