Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Apogee introduces new Ensemble Thunderbolt

Darryl, you may want to check out the Gearslutz thread (it's in the "137th AES" thread). Don Spacht from Apogee has been answering questions all day about this.

Of particular note, he mentioned that the digital conversion on this is actually a step above the Quartet/Duet 2, putting it just under the Symphony IO, so this should sound pretty darn good (the preamps are the same ones from the Quartet/Duet 2).
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Risberg View Post
Yeah I know. It's just that I like the sound and robustness of XLRs (at the source) better than from DSUBs. In this case though it's not a game changer.

I don't mind 2U audio interfaces, at least if its my primary.

This is an uneducated comment. There is NO difference between a dsub to xlr cable than xlr jacks directly on the box! Dsub to XLR cables can easily be had for 50 bucks used.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Its missing a remote… Other than that, this would make a perfect replacement for my TC Electronic SK48, it has more mic pres and more flexible IO.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
This is an uneducated comment. There is NO difference between a dsub to xlr cable than xlr jacks directly on the box! Dsub to XLR cables can easily be had for 50 bucks used.
Sonically, there is no difference. But XLR is much less likely to fail. I have seen many Rosetta D-subs fail, the weight of the breakout cable stresses the pins and eventually you have to wiggle the cable to get it to work. And sometimes the screws break off or strip out, which further weakens the connection. Obviously if the breakout cable is properly supported this shouldn't be a problem, but it's something I've seen more than once.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Sonically, there is no difference. But XLR is much less likely to fail. I have seen many Rosetta D-subs fail, the weight of the breakout cable stresses the pins and eventually you have to wiggle the cable to get it to work. And sometimes the screws break off or strip out, which further weakens the connection. Obviously if the breakout cable is properly supported this shouldn't be a problem, but it's something I've seen more than once.

Don't use a break out cable, use a D-sub equipped patch panel and short few dollar ribbon cable that weighs almost nothing and this won't happen.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Congratulations on your 2000th post Barry. Impressive.

I might be wrong about this (after all, english is not my native language), but, calling my comment as being uneducated sounded a bit harsh or unfriendly to me. I wasn't guessing or trying to mislead anyone. I was speaking from my own experience.

Don't you think it's fantastic to be part of a competent online forum as the DUC/APAC? This forum has a vast variety of members; engineering people and artists visiting daily. All of us carry various skills, sound ideals, experience as well as pure opinions to the topics. I think it's phenomenal to be part of it. You're obviously quite a contributor to the forums yourself.

It's very okay to disagree on things. Can't we just keep it friendly and not question peoples education or competence?

Marcel Risberg
Production sound and audio post - ljuddesign.se
Enthusiastically sharing knowledge and experience at Stockholm Film School.

🛠 Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 · HD Native · HD Omni
🎚 EuControl x.x.x · Artist Control · Mix · Control App
🦑 MacPro5,1 · 12C24T @3.46GHz · 48GB · SSDs · macOS 10.13.6 (17G5019)
📺 Separate video playback machine
🥇 Covered by ZDT/TLC · Keeping DAW OS clutter free
Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 PM

I agree Marcel we should be considerate and it is wonderful to be able to access so much and so many ideas......

However the comment I don't think was crass or rude...maybe a bit to forward and direct....but that is totally different than being rude for rude's sake.

It is the internet after all and we can't hear the tone with which it was spoken......

However I agree with Barry a balanced cable is a balanced cable no matter what format the connector is....

Now there are crap xlr's and there are Mogami D25's that are out of my league, so it just depends
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 AM

Also depends on if you intend or need to plug/unplug the unit on a daily basis. Like for location work.

That would be something to consider.

Darryl Ramm
Old 05-10-2016, 09:08 AM

Any users? Love mine.
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:47 AM

Bought mine Nov/2015. Absolutely love it! Also, using it as a master clock. Everything sounds better and can autoswitch sample rates on the fly.