Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Erasing system drives + networking panther

Ok,
this obviously isn't directly related to protools, but I can't find a straight answer on the apple site, hope you all don't mind!

1. How do I erase my system drive? In disk utility the option is greyed out because the internal is the boot volume. I tried starting up from my external drive but it still won't erase. (I'm trying to wipe my system and start over with a fresh install of Panther).

2. I have a small network in my studio - 2 pc's with win98 and 2 macs (G4s - one powerbook, one powermac). Since I upgraded to Panther the macs can't see the pcs. I disabled the firewall and still they aren't talking to each other.
I'm using a small Longshine handyhub.

Any ideas????

Thanks,
stevesound
Old 09-07-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Erasing system drives + networking panther

1) Boot from the Install CD and erase the drive from there.
2) Can't be much help on this one.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
2. I have a small network in my studio - 2 pc's with win98 and 2 macs (G4s - one powerbook, one powermac). Since I upgraded to Panther the macs can't see the pcs. I disabled the firewall and still they aren't talking to each other.
I'm using a small Longshine handyhub.
Have you tried accessing them by inputing their IPs into the "Network" window (in the "Go" menu or Shift-cmnd-k from the finder)?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:54 PM

You're using Panther on the mac's, but a 7 year old operating system on the PC's??? That could be part of your networking problem. It's far easier to network Mac's and PC's if the PC's are running some WinNT variant (NT, 2000, XP).

I don't know much about Win98. Sorry.

Regarding the hard drive wipe, boot from the Panther install CD's and just choose "erase and install" from the options menu during the installation.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Once you have re-installed on the desktop machine, plug your powerbook via firewire to the Desktop MAC and hold the T key as it starts up. This then mounts your powerbook as an external drive and you can erase and install a new system from your Desktop. Saves loads of time and is very convenient. This method is called Target Disk Mode.

Panther supports networking via Firewire too

You might want to look into creating an image of your system drives once you have installed all your software and re-registered them etc. Having a back up of a fresh system image is always a good idea just incase you need to re-install again.

I can't quite help you at this time concerning imaging, but I know for a fact that it can be done. We have over 20 G5s at work, and every one of them are identical builds. I will however, try to get the details and post it for you at a later date.

Contact me if you need further assistance, I'd be more than happy to help.

Cheers
MagicCamera

MAC Plus, 256k RAM 8 inch B&W monitor, Typewriter for keyboard, LocalTalk (hehe just kidding)
Old 09-08-2004, 09:14 AM

deadly,
thanks for the advice guys. I'll try the target drive thing.....