Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2000, 06:42 PM

Default Red over lights from ADAT lightpipe transfer, annoying..AS \"gain\" to reduce level?

An outside session, pings my over lights constantly, it was recorded a little over hot on another type of recording system (Fostex DF8) Should I just use the Audio Suite plug in "GAIN" to drag the levels down? The overs are pissing me off + is'd being mixed by another person so I dont wanna pass off a crappy looking session or risk transfer ****-ups down the line.

Is gain a no pain no brainer? Or does it mess with the audio somewhat?

TIA

Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited December 12, 2000).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-12-2000, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Red over lights from ADAT lightpipe transfer, annoying..AS \"gain\" to reduce level?

Gee I hope not. I run into the same problem all the time. In the case of a snare or other drum, I try to only AS-gain the offending hit(s) if there are only a few or copy/paste a similar, non-clipped hit over it.

I haven't noticed any quality change although the cliped signal is still chopped off, it just doesn't set off the red meter any more.

Any other comments?

Dan
Old 12-15-2000, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Red over lights from ADAT lightpipe transfer, annoying..AS \"gain\" to reduce level?

Sure It changes the audio! it's a gain being performed, taking your 16 bit word (I'm assuming the fostex is 16) and getting a longword on the order of at least 24 bits.

The question is: does A.S. Gain dither it's calculations or does it truncate? (not by Tools now so I can't check)

Equally DSP-inducing, but possibly better sounding (conjecture!) is recording the transfer with a 24 bit dithering plug-in on each channel, like the Renaissance Compressor or EQ. I suppose you have to set up Aux channels for each track, but because the Renaissance stuff has it's own fader and dithers, you've got a decent solution, attenuate the output fader by 0.1dB or something, record, then just nudge the tracks back to counter the DSP delay.

I know of a record that was mixed in PT with all it's faders at unity and a Ren EQ across each track and they automated it's own output gain fader for the dithering/internal resolution.

I've seen this happen with DA88s as well during transfers, especially with high-but-not-clipping audio. Why the hell is that?!

Old 12-17-2000, 09:14 AM

Hmm, I did it with audio suite, I take your good Waves ren eq point....
I must get into the habit of unity gain faders and controling the level via plug ins....at lest for static elements in a mix. I wont be able to do everything like that as I use a ProControl and paid for the fader action (!) and use it . But once a basic level has been set with plug in output levels, I can ride faders up and down from Zero....
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-17-2000, 10:12 AM

Gee, too bad you just couldnt pull the lightpipe out of it's socket a wee bit and make the signal a little dimmer....HeeHee!!!
Old 12-17-2000, 05:25 PM

I did wear sunglasses for the transfer, but that just made me look cool

Jules
www.gearslutz.com