Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Static and distortion of sound while keyboard is plugged in to Digi 002

Hi,

So I'm still at the getting to know Protools and recording stage in the game, although I have been using it for a while. However, I have never come across this problem before. For some reason, when I attach my keyboard into my interface using the cable I have always used without any issue, the sound that comes through is fuzzy, unstable, and off-tune. It is not the keyboard; It sounds perfect when it is not attached to the interface and I have tried attaching two different keyboards with the same results. It is not the cable; I brought the cable to a friend who hooked it up to his keyboard and a speaker and it sounded fine. What I'm worried about is that something happened to my interface, which is always not a good thing but especially now, since I need to use my studio a lot now. Needless to say, I am freaking out and this is pretty time sensitive. I would really, really appreciate some advice. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Static and distortion of sound while keyboard is plugged in to Digi 002

Not enough info! What keyboard? Exactly how is it connected?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Static and distortion of sound while keyboard is plugged in to Digi 002

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Not enough info! What keyboard? Exactly how is it connected?
One keyboard is a Yamaha PSR 270, the other is a Korg A500. They were both connected the proper way.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM

anybody?? thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumzels View Post
One keyboard is a Yamaha PSR 270, the other is a Korg A500. They were both connected the proper way.
What do you mean 'connected in the proper way'? I looked up the PSR270 (downloaded the manual) and it doesn't have regular line outputs for the audio; all it has is a headphone jack that's meant to go to either headphones or an external amp/speaker system which is why it appears to work with your buddy's system. Connecting this to your 002 may be causing part of your problem.

I found nothing on a Korg A500 but did find a Roland A500 and that's a MIDI keyboard controller which by definition has no sounds of it's own.

It appears you have issues other than what you stated.

We need a better description of your system and how it's all connected.

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What do you mean 'connected in the proper way'? I looked up the PSR270 (downloaded the manual) and it doesn't have regular line outputs for the audio; all it has is a headphone jack that's meant to go to either headphones or an external amp/speaker system which is why it appears to work with your buddy's system. Connecting this to your 002 may be causing part of your problem.

I found nothing on a Korg A500 but did find a Roland A500 and that's a MIDI keyboard controller which by definition has no sounds of it's own.

It appears you have issues other than what you stated.

We need a better description of your system and how it's all connected.
Thank you for your response, Jack, and for taking the time to do research/ I really appreciate it.

I have used my keyboard for over a year without this issue, so I know its not the keyboard. It does only have one output in the back, for which I use a y cable to merge the stereo cable. The other side of the cable is attached to the in inputs on my digi 002. I tried switching the cables from input to input, and to no avail.

The keyboard I am using is a not a midi controller. It has two outputs in the back, and when they are attached to the interface, it's as if I didn't attach anything at all. Interestingly, when I turn the cable into a mon and plug it into the headphone jack, only then does any sound come through, albeit distorted and with the popping sounds identical to the ones that it makes when attached to my Yamaha.

Thanks again, I hope I was clearer this time.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 PM

What are the keyboard outputs labelled? Assuming you are patched into the 002 on a pair of quarter inch inputs(which pair?) have you hit the Mic/DI button on the 002 to enable the quarter inch inputs(IIRC, UN-lit means the xlr input is live)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your response, Jack, and for taking the time to do research/ I really appreciate it.

I have used my keyboard for over a year without this issue, so I know its not the keyboard. It does only have one output in the back, for which I use a y cable to merge the stereo cable. The other side of the cable is attached to the in inputs on my digi 002. I tried switching the cables from input to input, and to no avail.

The keyboard I am using is a not a midi controller. It has two outputs in the back, and when they are attached to the interface, it's as if I didn't attach anything at all. Interestingly, when I turn the cable into a mon and plug it into the headphone jack, only then does any sound come through, albeit distorted and with the popping sounds identical to the ones that it makes when attached to my Yamaha.

Thanks again, I hope I was clearer this time.
It's still not clear what you're doing. There is no such thing as a Korg A500. And connecting your Yamaha the way you do is NOT the way to go. You say you used the keyboard (I'm assuming the Yamaha) for a year and never had this problem? Used it how? We need to know EXACTLY how you're system is hooked up.

QAPLA!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's still not clear what you're doing. There is no such thing as a Korg A500. And connecting your Yamaha the way you do is NOT the way to go. You say you used the keyboard (I'm assuming the Yamaha) for a year and never had this problem? Used it how? We need to know EXACTLY how you're system is hooked up.
I'm not sure what I am doing differently than usual; the Yamaha has one output that can be used for headphones or an output.

I googled Korg A500 and found the model I am using right away, so I am not mistaken on that.

I am attaching the Yamaha using the Y on the cable (again, only one output) and the sound does come through, although it sounds horribly distorted. When it is not attached it sounds fine.

I am attaching the Korg using both ends of the stereo cable (two outputs this time) after which no sound comes through to the headphones and speakers at all; the machine acts like I did nothing and continues to play sounds through its own speakers. When I use the Y on the stereo cable and plug it into the headphone jack on the keyboard, sound does come through, and again, horrible.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what I am doing differently than usual; the Yamaha has one output that can be used for headphones or an output.

I googled Korg A500 and found the model I am using right away, so I am not mistaken on that.

I am attaching the Yamaha using the Y on the cable (again, only one output) and the sound does come through, although it sounds horribly distorted. When it is not attached it sounds fine.

I am attaching the Korg using both ends of the stereo cable (two outputs this time) after which no sound comes through to the headphones and speakers at all; the machine acts like I did nothing and continues to play sounds through its own speakers. When I use the Y on the stereo cable and plug it into the headphone jack on the keyboard, sound does come through, and again, horrible.
The problem what you're using as your 'usual' isn't working and it won't work right. It's distorted because of the level and impedance mismatch. A direct box from Radial Engineering should help. Headphone outputs were never designed to drive anything more than headphones.

I too googled Korg A500 and found nothing. Until you post links to what you found then this conversation will go nowheres.

QAPLA!