Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Default Crossfade after AudioSuite (feature request)?

I'm surprised there isn't a way to have Pro Tools apply an auto-crossfade after you AudioSuite a section.

I use Pro Tools for part of my mastering workflow to play and capture audio through my analog chain before loading into Wavelab to finalize, and one thing I do a lot of post-capture is go through and apply RX4 DeClicker (and a few others as needed) via AudioSuite to tiny sections that need it. Sometimes it's well over a dozen times per song that I AudioSuite a small section. I then of course consolidate the entire song as one continuous file again.

It would save me so much time if every time I AudioSuite a portion of audio, it would just apply a 5ms crossfade at the two edit points.

After I AudioSuite a section, I highlight across the start and end point of the AudioSuited section apply the crossfade using the fade section of Beat Detective.
Then I double check that I've solved the problem and the fades aren't problematic.

I'm kind of amazed that by now, it's not a standard to have Pro Tools do the crossfade as well after an AudioSuite function. I can't imagine wanting AudioSuite a section of a region without some type of crossfade to create a smooth transition.

I'm thinking that Slate's Batch Commander can do this but right now I only have Pro Tools 12 installed and Batch Commander seems to only support 10 and 11.

I remember trying Batch Commander for this last year but it got tripped up because after applying the AudioSuite, the selection needs to be moved slightly to start before and after the edit points.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Crossfade after AudioSuite (feature request)?

You have RX4, why are you using audiosuite in the first place?

Check out the RX Connect feature, I think you'll find it's FAR superior to what you're doing now.

IOW, instead of just fixing the pieces in PT which requires you to do this clean up afterwards, use Connect to take the whole file into RX, fix the issue and then send the whole thing back.

Regardless, you don't need Beat Detective to do batch fades. Simply select the entire set of clips and either press "F" to apply your default fade (Prefs) or Command-F to bring up the fade dialog.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post

Regardless, you don't need Beat Detective to do batch fades. Simply select the entire set of clips and either press "F" to apply your default fade (Prefs) or Command-F to bring up the fade dialog.
Actually you missed his point on this. BD moves the start of each clip slightly forward so the fade starts slightly earlier - really cool for making sure you don't miss transients etc. I use BD for batch fades instead of Apple-f quite often for this reason.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Actually you missed his point on this. BD moves the start of each clip slightly forward so the fade starts slightly earlier - really cool for making sure you don't miss transients etc. I use BD for batch fades instead of Apple-f quite often for this reason.
The OP didn't say this is why they were using BD, so what did I miss?

Old 07-17-2015, 05:51 AM

I did mention in the OP that I use the fade section of Beat Detective to generate the crossfades after an AudioSuite render (4th paragraph).

I have tried command F to generate the crossfades but I can't get it to make crossfades, only a fade in at the start AudioSuite render and fade out at the end of the AudioSuite render. Am I missing something about how to get an actual crossfade?

Either way, command F doesn't seem a whole lot faster than using the fade section of Beat Detective to generate the crossfades after an AudioSuite render. I like to test each edit after I do it so doing a batch fade for all edits isn't really ideal.

I do use RX4 connect for some things that aren't available as a plugin in Pro Tools like the RX4 Leveler or Spectral Editor. When I'm doing post-production mixes, the Leveler is a great tool.

The reason I don't use Declicker and DeNoiser stuff in the RX4 standalone app is because I like to make use of the Pro Tools playlists, saving things in various states so it's easy to get back to a certain state if needed. If I wanted to do these edits in a linear all or nothing style editor, I could also use Wavelab. I do this in Pro Tools to take advantage of playlists.

The one advantage of doing these kind of edits in Wavelab is that when rendering a section of a file, there is a setting to apply crossfades at the boundaries of an edit. But again, no playlist option in Wavelab means I prefer to use Pro Tools.

I used RX4 DeClicker as an example for this post because it's one I use most often, but I also do some detailed spot editing of songs using an EQ (to de-thump plosives or bumps) or a de-esser to hit just small sections rather than an entire song and of course, those don't have the luxury of a standalone app.

I just wish there was a way that doing an AudioSuite render would put a short crossfade at the boundaries of that AudioSuite render. It sounds like Pro Tools is just not capable of this.

Somebody made me a Slate Batch Commander preset that claims it'll do this but I'll have to wait until Batch Commander supports Pro Tools 12.

If there are any beta testers on here, I think it'd be a nice feature request to have an option for the AudioSuite render to apply a short crossfade when it renders a smaller portion of an audio clip.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkins View Post
I did mention in the OP that I use the fade section of Beat Detective to generate the crossfades after an AudioSuite render (4th paragraph).

I have tried command F but I can't get it to make crossfades, only a fade in at the start AudioSuite render and fade out at the end of the AudioSuite render. Am I missing something about how to get an actual crossfade?

I meant, you didn't mention the reason stated by midnightrambler for using BD.

Do you have handles enabled for audiosuite processing in the prefs? This might be why you can't do crossfades using the fade editor. There needs to be content outside the clip boundaries for the fade to use.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I meant, you didn't mention the reason stated by midnightrambler for using BD.

Do you have handles enabled for audiosuite processing in the prefs? This might be why you can't do crossfades using the fade editor.
Yes, handles are enabled. But again, using the Beat Detective fader is nearly the same as selecting over the two edits (start and end of the AS render) and pressing command F. I just leave the Beat Detective window open and ready to be pressed after each AS render.

So, Beat Detective fade vs. batch fade is somewhat irrelevant. I was just inquiring to see if there was a feature I was unaware of to have AudioSuite also apply fades at the rendered boundaries.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I actually don't move any edits or starts. This is the current workflow:

I simply highlight a section (usually about half .5 to 1 full second)
AudioSuite that section using something like RX4 DeClicker, or a high-passed EQ
Change the length of the highlighted area (not any actual edits or clips) to be just before and just after the rendered section to prep for BD crossfades.

Use the generate fades section of Beat Detective to apply a 5ms crossfade

Move on to the next spot that needs fixing.

If I don't change the highlighted area after the render, BD crossfade doesn't work. The selection needs to before and after the edits, not right on them.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperkins View Post
So, Beat Detective fade vs. batch fade is somewhat irrelevant. I was just inquiring to see if there was a feature I was unaware of to have AudioSuite also apply fades at the rendered boundaries.
Gotcha. I was referring specifically to midnightrambler's notion that you were using BD for the "advancing" feature they mentioned.

There's no feature that does what you need that I know of.

But I just did a few tests.

Stereo track, make a 500ms selection, process it with RX3 declicker (handles set to 2 sec) then triple click to select entire track, press the F key (keyboard focus enabled) and I get my default (set if prefs) crossfade across all edits.

Does this not happen for you?

If handles are set to 0, I get the invalid fade dialog because there's content to fade with, as expected.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Thanks, I'll try this in a bit when I get into a project.

My only concern is that when doing many edits, will PT constantly change all crossfades when I do this:

select entire track, press the F key (keyboard focus enabled) and I get my default (set if prefs) crossfade across all edits.

I'd like to retain all the previous custom crossfades I've already done and not overwrite them.