Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Communication with the "Eleven Rack"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmant View Post
Old thread, but newly annoying problem for me:
i have a similar problem with Eleven, after the computer goes idle (sometimes, not all the time), with Pro Tools open (running 9.0.5 on a newer iMac), I get no sound anymore from my monitoring system, which is fed from the Eleven. If I click on setup > hardware or setup > i/o I can see the Eleven Rack, still showing, it hasn't switched to ASIO or anything, just NO sound. If I drag up Strike, I get to watch the invisible drummer bang the bongos, but still no sound.

The only solution I've found is to power cycle the Eleven. I don't even have to EXIT Pro Tools. When it comes back, bangagong get it on!

I'm hoping to call AVID on Monday and complain. They should at least put a "stay alive" in their programming to keep the lines of communication open with the Eleven Rack, IMO.
I have the same problem, I thought it was the mac power settings, I have this with the dropping communication error. I'm on PT 8.0.5 with an Imac.

It is very annoying. I have to restart everything the most annoying thing is powering down the monitors...so they don't bang...
Eleven Rack
Axiom Pro 61
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM

No fix for this yet? I've used Eleven Rack daily for over 2 years without trouble and now I get this error every time and have to restart Pro Tools! What could have changed? I updated to 8.05 LE and whatever the latest Eleven Rack driver is but that didn't help. Hopefully someone knows what to do because this is driving me crazy!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 PM

I'm seeing this same type of problem recently. I've always had to power cycle the 11R from time to time, but lately every time I restart my Mac Pro I have to unplug/plug in the USB cable (no need to power cycle). Happens only with 10.6.8 running PT10 or PT 9. This does NOT happen with 10.7 Lion. So I'm thinking this might be OS related for me. I just picked up a 2nd 11R and the same thing happens. Also tried different USB cable, different USB slot on the Mac Pro, same results.

Bill
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM

I know PT does not play well with any power-saving functions of the computer (hard drive shutdown, sleep mode, etc), and in fact IIRC, in the Pro Tools "optimization" doc, they should be disabled.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:24 PM

I'm on Vista sp2 and I turn on the Eleven Rack/Pro Tools at all different times; after using other software, after the PC has been idle for hours, etc. Never did I have any problems until recently so something in a Windows update must be the cause because I haven't done anything. Oddly, the last 3 days I haven't had the communication error once. No idea why....wish I knew!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM

A Windows update might be the cause - it certainly wouldn't be the first time a Windows update broke something. But again, according to the optimization docs, you shouldn't be running automatic update anyway (actually, you shouldn't even be running a network card). Use System Restore to go back to a known-good date, and then follow the optimization guide.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be a dick. Pro Tools is a resource hog, and the fewer other things competing for those resources, the better. The optimization guide is a group of general suggestions for adjustments that will help Pro Tools run better. Not following the guide doesn't mean that you system won't work, but that your system may be inefficient and may experience issues. Some systems might work fine with sleep mode enabled, but most won't. The systems that run best are those who have been built following the guide. There are too many variables in the PC world - hardware, drivers, software, etc. - to not follow manufacturer's recommendations.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=211077
Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 PM

i have always had this error. I am lucky if Eleven Rack ever connects properly.
Lately, i am able to record a signal from ER , but it is the dry guitar signal. No effects come through. Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, is the name of the game.

This is the biggest paper weight that I own. I cannot believe that after the last two years of owning it, I cannot use it for recording. Why would Avid sell such crap!

Either fix it or make a Firewire version and allow us to trade our units in.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemeister View Post
Lately, i am able to record a signal from ER , but it is the dry guitar signal. No effects come through. Reboot, Reboot, Reboot, is the name of the game.

This is the biggest paper weight that I own. I cannot believe that after the last two years of owning it, I cannot use it for recording. Why would Avid sell such crap!

Why would "a Firewire version" be any different?

If you can record the dry signal then the Eleven Rack is likely working as an interface and it would be very unusual for some specific IOs not to be recordable. Does the Eleven Rack work stand alone? What have you tried to do to debug this? Are you using this as your interface or using it as an outboard processor through another interface? What platform and Pro Tools version etc.

Start with it connected as the interface, with latest drivers installed and create a new session using one of the Eleven Rack templates. What exactly happens?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemeister View Post

Funny how most people have been using the 11R since it came out years ago with no problem at all.

Bad tradesmen always blame their tools.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 PM

No its not funny. I have barely used this rack because of the headaches of trying to make it work over the last couple of years. It works intermittently. I have been using my amp and had just left the rack on my desk for a couple of years.

I think my copy is just a lemon and always has been. I had not adjusted the outputs until just recently, when trying to fix the problem.

As far as firewire, I have always had better luck with these interfaces. USB seems hit and miss.

Here are some discoveries:
1. Start up ER, plugged direct to mixer and speakers = no sound. Turn ER off and then on again. ER now works.
2. Boot up computer. ER is on. Open PT. Change audio engine from Apogee Duet to ER, but ER does not show up in the list, only PT Aggregate I/O shows up in the drop down.http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
3. Reboot computer again. Turn ER off and on. Open up PT. This time in the Playback Engine, Eleven Rack shows up as a choice. Choose ER for playback. Close and restart PT. During start up, receive a message saying that there is a Communication Error with the ER. PT opens and now ER works for audio only.
4. Occasionally the ER editor either does not show up in the PT header (where the editing buttons are), or if it does show up, I am unable to make any changes to the effects.
5. I'll record my signal into PT, however, now there is no effects when recording. Tried mono and stereo tracks.

The USB jack seems loose, but once i get the driver working with PT, I do not lose audio driver. Tried different USB cables.

Is this thing just a lemon? Shouldn't it just work? This is my first Avid Hardware purchase and its not a good experience.

Do you think Avid would return and send me another unit as a replacement or is that just wishful thinking?