Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

i have to say this issue IS BIZZARRE! i was having the same problem of trying to open ProTools LE8 and it freezing while loading expand!.dpm. it was also introduced issues with Safari by causing it to freeze as well. i could sometimes open ProTools but not open any old files.

ProTools worked fine for months and all of a sudden it started doing this. even when it was working fine however, it was still causing kernel panics usually after burning from iTunes. Apple wants me to believe it is a software issue, which is not covered under warranty of course. now i read here that it's a hardware issue within iMac.

from reading this thread i remember unplugging my USBs to move some stuff and probably didn't plug them back into the same spots. i have to say i switched USB ports and it seems to be working fine now (knock on wood) i'll repost if it happens again.

has anyone spoken to Apple about this? i'd like to know if there's anyone who has spoken to them before i take my machine in and give em a piece of my mind. i'd like to approach them as informed as possible about this issue.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

EXCELLENT!
I've been having a myriad of problems ever since I got my brand new i5.. I have a Mini and had heaps of problems with PT not loading properly, then would cause other programs (mainly safari and even system preferences) to freeze and I'd be constantly restarting. Tried toggling/switching off bluetooth and airport, and switch usb ports many times... for awhile had PT loading with both airport and bluetooth on fine, but couldn't get any sound...
But now after switching to the USB port closest to the FW port - and going back to having BT and AP off - everything seems to be working fine.. with sound! Fingers crossed it continues this way.. I bought this computer specifically for PT and was devastated when I couldn't play with my new toy. Granted the new imacs aren't 'qualified' yet but it's quite ridiculous all the 'glitches' - whatever you want to call them - you have to sift through to get these two products to function properly together.
Still running 10.6.2, despite hearing people running fine on 10.6.3 I'm dubious about upgrading after finally getting everything working! Hopefully Digi will bring out an update soon enough.

Thanks again for this vital information, it's the people on the DUC that allow us to work through crap that surely shouldn't be on the customer's onus.. and I'd hope Digi themselves are just as grateful !
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 PM

After my endless problems with the Imacs and the Mbox - I decided to buy the Eleven Rack. I have to say that despite it also being USB, I haven't had ANY problems thus far.

Having said that i have not dared plug it into the first USB port! If anybody would like me to, let's say for research reasons, please let me know.
Eleven Rack
Axiom Pro 61
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Hi
Assuming that more people have this problem, here my findings:
Have a MBP i7, 003, MBox 2 and Micro, PT LE 8.03cs2, and OSX 10.6.3 (yes I know, officially not supported...) BT off.
003 works great, no problems. With both MBoxes PT crashes during or right after startup, when I try to open a song..
Weird thing is that on my machine this happens when I use the USB port closest to the power supply/fw connectors, if I use the other one (next to the SD card) it all works fine, also when I attach a USB hub with two iLoks the other USB port...
PT boots, opens, plays, quits and starts again.

With both USB ports I never have system crashes, I can even have PT crash on the rear USB port, switch the Mbox to the frotn port, and PT will open and work fine.
Maybe this is of any help to anyone...

As one of you said, there is not one solution that works for everyone...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 AM

This past week, after taking my iMac i7 out of commission for some time because of this problem, I redid the USB configuration, and it's been working beautifully.

My problem was plugging the Mbox into a hub - even though I had the hub plugged into that "best" USB port on the iMac. I moved the hub to the next USB port and plugged the Mbox directly into that "best" USB socket.

Bada bing. With the Mbox all by itself on that USB port, and the hub in the next one, it works.

My manager told me he should have thought of that when we were going nuts over this. He does a ton of photography and apparently in Photoshop, you need to plug the camera into that same USB port or it won't power the camera properly.

So it ain't just us Pro Tools users!
OS X 10.8.5
Too many hard drives to count
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I wouldn't even put that kind of current draw potential across firewire. If I've got a power supply available, I'd use it.
Digidesign actually recommends that if you are using an M Box2 pro with a powered firewire port that you DO NOT use a power supply as it can cause problems and possibly damage the M Box. Firewire is around 30 watts and a powered port is designed to power multiple device daisy chained.
It may be different with USB of course.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Thumbs up Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

bigup chris am havin this same problem wi ma imac freezing whenever i connect mbox2mini am gonna try this out and see.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 PM

Default MBOX MINI port problem

Does anybody know the EXACT reason why you have to have the mbox mini plugged in to your first usb port? i am dying to know. What type of hub can i plug it into that will allow me to plug in my kensington track ball and ILOK also...everything is so picky.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Default Re: MBOX MINI port problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesagogedder View Post
Does anybody know the EXACT reason why you have to have the mbox mini plugged in to your first usb port? i am dying to know. What type of hub can i plug it into that will allow me to plug in my kensington track ball and ILOK also...everything is so picky.
I don't think anyone knows exactly why... but I can tell you that a mouse and an ilok plugged into a hub won't matter.

It's not that "everything" is picky, it just seems that MBoxes are picky. There was a similar issue regarding Macbook Pros with MBoxes as well, but I've never seen anything else have issues with ports, especially not low data devices.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks for your input Dism! My kensington expert series track ball also requires it to be plugged into the computer. I read it on a forum and then experimented on my computer. it doesnt work thru my hub (granted my hub is a $5 dollar piece of poo....) but does work plugged directly in ...so thats why im wondering if their is a special hub that "tricks" the computer into allowing me to plug in the mbox or the mouse( or both for that matter) into it successfully? Thanks for your input Dism.