Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Default MIDI keyboard - How to connect??

I am trying to hook up my keyboard (Alesis QS6.1) to a Digi 002 Rack so I can use it in sessions. I used to have it go through a MIDI sport 2 x 2 interface. I have tried that and dit doesn't appear to be working with my new Mac and PT 8. I'm not much on understanding MIDI and mainly use the keyboard for a click and for bass and drum sounds. So I have a MIDI out 2 on the 002 and have that going to the keyboard MIDI in. So why isn't that working and what else do I need to do.

Also, since there isn't a MIDI in 2 on the 002, how do I get the MIDI to go into the 002?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be appreciative.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Re: MIDI keyboard - How to connect??

You need MIDI cables going in both directions, it doesn't matter what port they are connected to. (1 or 2, whatever)

If you want audio from the QS then you need to connect cables from the outputs on the QS to a pair of line inputs on the 002 (5-8). I actually use the ADAT output from my QSR because I don't have any other ADAT gear...

Midisport 2x2 works fine with Mac and PT and 002. It is what I use. You need to get a driver from the M-Audio website.

You should also Add the QS to your Audio MIDI setup so you can access the patch list. I believe the QS6 is already in the default list..

In protools, you need an instrument track, audio input set to the same inputs that you connected the QS to. MIDI thru ON.

On the QS, turn local control off..

That's most of it...
Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 AM

Thanks Flommer...Just what I needed (I think)..I'll report back...
Old 01-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
You need MIDI cables going in both directions, it doesn't matter what port they are connected to. (1 or 2, whatever)
I am confused...On the 002 there is an Midi in and out #1, and a MIDI out #2, There is no in #2. What am I missing? (I know this is 101 stuff)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM

The idea is that, typically, you are only going to have 1 controller but multiple sound modules.

Your QS is really 2 devices in one... A keyboard controller and a synth module. When you turn local control off, you are breaking the internal MIDI connections between the 2 and allowing them to act independently. By having MIDI cables going both ways you have control for both parts. If you had just a sound module (like my QSR for example), you would really only need the MIDI output on the 002 to get it to work..

If your MIDI setup is more complicated than 1 controller and a couple modules then you need a MIDI interface or direct USB connections from the other devices..

Basically, don't worry about it. Plenty of other things to spend time on.. We should consider ourselves lucky that Digi included the extra MIDI output.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Hi, I am also having trouble connecting a midi synth. I have an old Casio CZ-101, and I want to hook it up to my Digi 003+. I have no interest in using the keyboard (I have a M-Audio Oxygen 8 for that, which I connect via USB with no problems), I want to just use it for the sounds.

I have hooked up the midi cables going both ways anyway, and an audio cable from the line out of the keyboard to a line in on the 003. I have also set it up (to the best of my knowledge) in the Audio MIDI setup as part of OSX. When I play notes on the keyboard, I get the tones comes through protools (I set up an aux to hear) and the MIDI in light flashes on the 003. However, I cannot get the keyboard to come up as a possible midi out on the midi track in pro tools. And the

Any help would be greatly appreciated!