Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Default A Virtual Studio

Hello everyone. I am not a "newbie" nor unaware of some solutions to this question...but, I also know that there is a plethora of incredible knowledge in this forum. (Is that enough flattery

I have had a video post house approach me to be there audio facility...they want it to appear that we are at their physical plant (in another room) and work in real time. Now, the audio part is easy (ISDN) but, how would ya'll (you can tell I'm from Texas) handle real-time video?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Re: A Virtual Studio

With ISDN, you can send timecode informationl, though you may need two boxes to do stereo plus time code. You might try Source Elements Source Connect.

They would need a minimum of a ProTools LE system and possibly the DV Toolkit, but you both load the same video into your projects open source connect on both ends and when you hit play, you send them your stereo mix live (streaming over IP) and their ProTools system will lock up to yours receiving your stereo mix and playing the picture which is local on both ends.

Source Connect compensates for transmision delays. Fairly reliable if you have high speed T1 or symetrical DSL.

They can get a blowup doll and disquise it as a very obedient mixer.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM

What happens when you do a great job and the client wants to shake your hand? Happens all the time here in Hollywood
Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks Rick,
We actually use Source-Connect along with CDQ-2000 and a Prima 230. The real problem here is that they want to work in their AVID make a picture change based on the talent's read and have me see it immediately.

Quote:
With ISDN, you can send timecode informationl, though you may need two boxes to do stereo plus time code. You might try Source Elements Source Connect.

They would need a minimum of a ProTools LE system and possibly the DV Toolkit, but you both load the same video into your projects open source connect on both ends and when you hit play, you send them your stereo mix live (streaming over IP) and their ProTools system will lock up to yours receiving your stereo mix and playing the picture which is local on both ends.

Source Connect compensates for transmision delays. Fairly reliable if you have high speed T1 or symetrical DSL.

They can get a blowup doll and disquise it as a very obedient mixer.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM

If you need to do stereo plus time code, the APT box will handle that very nicely. You just need to figure out the offset between the two studios.

Buddy
S6 32 fader 2022.9
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
We actually use Source-Connect along with CDQ-2000 and a Prima 230. The real problem here is that they want to work in their AVID make a picture change based on the talent's read and have me see it immediately.

[/QUOTE]

If it's available in your area, you could use a direct fibre link between the two studios. Here in Burbank it's available through ATT, but it's very pricey and a bit inconvenient. You have to call the provider to patch you to your client and can send RS422, two channels of audio and picture. If I remember correctly it's around $2000 per month for the service and a per use fee.

You might try calling Ednet in the SF Bay area. They could probably steer you in the right direction on more recent developments.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Hmmm... I wonder if one could point a quality video camera to the client monitor, send the camera audio directly into its inputs... and post a web-cam viewing link for clients to watch as you work when ever they feel the need to "peep in". Just thinking out loud... Not sure about connection and other requirements.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:45 PM

While not going to produce perfect sound or footage, I use a Slingbox at my facility. A client can view from the web, their desktop, or iphone/blackberry.

It wont fool anyone into thinking that you are really there lol but it is a bit quicker then shuffling quicktime bounces out to edit suites. but there is about a 10 second (at worst) delay over the internet. I usually keep a phone line on speaker phone and advise them to wait to recieve playback to compensate for the lag.

You can read an interview with me and my facilities technical director in post about it.

the article is called 'nice tools' (HA!)
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Trying to find the article...