Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-22-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Ultimate is the only way to have 32+ IN/OUTs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
Just out of curiosity. What are you guys doing that you need more than 32 inputs?

Beside recording orchestral work on location. I have never in the last 20 years had the need for more than 32 channels.
Symphony orchestras.

Recording live theatre.

My current show (see my sig line) has about 116 inputs, including 32 channels of playback from QLab. If I wanted to record it for a multitrack archive, I would have to bring out an entire HDx2 rig and pull the recording from the MADI stream. Or use something other than Protools.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-22-2020, 02:26 PM

I have 54 I/O

27 of those are mic inputs
32 outs go to a burl Vancouver
Another 8 I/O for hardware inserts
16 out for furman headphone mixers
Then a few more spare for guest hardware

Easy

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 01-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
Just out of curiosity. What are you guys doing that you need more than 32 inputs?

Beside recording orchestral work on location. I have never in the last 20 years had the need for more than 32 channels.

I have a Mixing Suite, Hybrid setup so absolutely no need for latency or fancy cloud stuff, DSP or what the heck they want to sell me.

I keep adding outboard from time to time though. Up until now i maxed out 32 outputs through hardware inserts (compressors) or sends to bricasti reverbs and spring reverbs or parallels to culture vulture and other distortion / enhancing boxes, summing back 32 channels through fat bustard - master EQ & compression - HEDD AD into PT...

Just added TC6000 i got for 'cheap' so i/o got a little crowded.

I'm doing a Liveshow / Live recording this weekend. Band and choir which generates approx. 42 inputs. Guess what? Laptop, reaper, 1xRJ45 cable from the FOH-Desk and DANTE Virtual soundcard and i'm rolling. Plus it's so freakin' stable. Never had a glitch.

We ran a redundant system in the amp room of a venue, reaper recording 64 tracks to the internal harddrive. After the two shows we forgot to turn it off. So we shut down the master AC after the show. Eventually the macbook, still recording, went to sleep before dying completely. Next day we prepared for the next show again. During soundcheck we noticed that reaper had woken up the mac and was already recording again!! Try that with PT.

It's a real shame how avid treats their customers. 2.5k for ultimate plus a digilink hardware-dongle, the silliest invention since iLOK or tens of thousands for 32+ i/o avid-interfaces.

i can do 64 i/o for less than the price of a Digi-link licence with reaper and a DANTE virtual soundcard...

More and more long time users like me are looking for alternatives. Not a good sign if getting a new breed of customers isn't exactly your sterngth either...
Old 01-22-2020, 04:46 PM

Unless you know you “need” HD/Ultimate, if I required more than 32 I/O and I’d argue few people truly do, I’d leave ProTools for another DAW.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:54 PM

it's a shame. but it will happen sooner or later. if it weren't for those shortcuts that burnt into my spine i would have switched already.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:34 AM

The thing is that ProTools uses the ASIO protocol when connecting to other 3th party hardware.

The ASIO protocol has the limitation of 32 I/O's so not AVID ProTools ! That's why all other DAWS using ASIO have the same issue. Maybe in a future release of ASIO there will be more I/O's made available lets hope for that but for now the only way to connect to 32+ inputs/outputs is HDx.

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm mastering studio View Post
for now the only way to connect to 32+ inputs/outputs is HDx
... and HDN if 64 i/o is enough
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm mastering studio View Post
The thing is that ProTools uses the ASIO protocol when connecting to other 3th party hardware.

The ASIO protocol has the limitation of 32 I/O's so not AVID ProTools ! That's why all other DAWS using ASIO have the same issue. Maybe in a future release of ASIO there will be more I/O's made available lets hope for that but for now the only way to connect to 32+ inputs/outputs is HDx.
Every other DAW allows for way more than 32I/O, it has nothing to do with ASIO or Core Audio. It's simply something Avid keeps locked up. For me when I need more than 32 inputs for live events, I just switch to another DAW. I'm tracking 64 inputs in Logic today for a live recording.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:51 AM

When I double checked a while back on Protools 10 and 11 (non HD/non Ultimate) they both allowed you to record enable more than 32 tracks BUT you can only assign UP TO 32 different inputs. That was also the case when using DANTE....up to 32 DANTE INPUTS.

32 is still a lot of inputs at one time.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The day I have more than one drum synth (8 tracks) and 12 regular synths (24 tracks) hooked together is the day I go nuts and will never recover
It's very easy hands on workflow with total recall (midi quest, some have their own official editor also).. All I literally need to do is highlight the midi track with the name of the synth in my PT template, press rec button and off I go.

For the synths that have really good hands on control like the ti2 or my nord a1r, i'll edit those with the hardware which is always in front of me on the desk. For other stuff like my wavestation or the old emu stuff I'll use editors. It's no problem at all, with the only thing I want to change being to get rid of the analog mixers completely, which is why I am planning to go HDX and start off with 64 ins, get rid of the Apollos and both analog desks and have all my inputs neatly in a rack mount. I'll probably get two of the antelope Orion HD as they are fan-less. They have 32 analog on board plus 16 adat, so 48 each, I already have 3 identical adat 8 a/d expanders, just need to buy one more, and I'll have 96 analog inputs by the time my vision is complete (this will need the second HDX card which is why I won't be able to do that immediately).

Having everything in pro tools mixer and now with total recall for all the external synths cause of midi quest, is going to be amazing. The only thing that won't have recall is vermona DRM or akai tom cat, but my other analogs are DCO based with proper recall (like the pulse 2 for example, my tetras+mopho which are poly linked, or the JD-XA). And the bonus of zero cpu usage.

There's actually a couple more synths I still want, as I don't have a hardware FM, so the elektron digitone will fill that gap. I'd also love an FS1R and can never get over the fact they were a few hundred dollars just a few years ago when I first looked at then.. I refuse to pay the extortionist prices now.. I'm also really lacking good physical modelling hardware so I'm only going to add to it. All 96 inputs will be used to capacity. It's going to be SO freeing not having to track to audio like I do now, and mix them all with any HDX plugin all in the midi domain and be able to edit in the midi domain also. Even sidechaining in the PT mixer for any signal with full ADC. I am so excited you have no idea and have denied myself anything else not music related to save towards it.

Cheers