Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2002, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Anyone useing that timecode template that was posted awhile ago?

to Munx - Yes but you need to have a time code window burn videotape or DVD made. This can be done by whoever you are getting the tape from, (the best way) or you can rent a little box that hooks up to a timecode deck and creates the TC window as you transfer into the mac. This is too short of an answer, but if you have more questions, just ask.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:50 PM

let me see if i understand this... i have my DV video camera firewired into my mac right now. i could get a little box to put in between my camera and my mac to imprint it with TC? is that right? if so, what's the little box and how much does it cost in canadian... roughly...

also, if i'm importing the movie from my camera thru iMovie... i cant remember but, is there an option you can choose for the frame rate?
Old 04-19-2002, 01:25 AM

hey again- sorry ,not that simple. in your scenario, the easiest thing is to get a window burn done by someone else to miniDV. Then play that from your camera to the computer via firewire.

The box that I was referring to only works on a composite signal -like the one that comes out of the "video out" of your miniDV.
.Making your own window burn to DV would require 2 dv decks (with one that can output timecode) and a transfer between decks (using composite signal.) The window burn box goes between the decks AND the first deck also sends the window burner time code.

Not really complicated - you just need the gear - I think 3-4 hundred Canadian (me too) for the window burner and way too much for a time code mini dv deck . ( although these items are easily rented if you need them on a project by project basis.

In answer to your second question, I haven't used iMovie, but your camera will be shooting at a frame rate of 29.97 fps. You can only choose drop or non drop frame when you are shooting - can't change afterwards.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:31 AM

cool, thanks... it's probably something i can just rent or do without for how often i do post prod at the moment... i can probably get by by looking at the frames in the QT movie track in PT... but it's something to look into for later.

thanks
Old 04-19-2002, 11:27 AM

Freewheel, sorry, but for thel ife of me, I can't remember who makes that plug in, but I heard about it a few months back in this forum, so perhaps you can do a search in the archives.

If one is trying to sync up sounds to a quictime with a time code window burn, wouldn't you just be able to match it by making sure you line up the start time of the movie with the corresponding point in time in PT?

I've done that and it works fine. Perhaps you are trying to do something else?

-Zeek
Old 04-19-2002, 11:32 AM

Also, if you wanted to see th actual timecode in the quicktime, you can get a fuse card or canopus box, and record the movie to either of the flavors above and hook the output to a regular TV and you will be able to see the timecode.

Also, if you are synching to PT and you can see the large picture, you can put stuff into the correct frames buy just looking at it. that 's how most people I know drop stuff in and it has always worked. You just need to make sure the frame rate of the quicktime is the same as in PT, and the movie will remain in synch when it comes time to combine the two
-Zeek
Old 04-19-2002, 11:34 AM

Yeah, I am just trying to get spot mode to work with a QT movie. I think it is hopeless. I'll stick with DP for post work and PT for Music.