Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Default Re: ProTools + Plug In Install Configuration for two Hard Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Opinion without having useful info about the actual config here... Personally I would be looking at hacking this machine and getting it to a later OS.
Just so the OP knows; my using a hacked installer to get sierra on my 3,1 machine has not been without penalties: mainly a problem with short second or shorter blackouts on both screens. VERY difficult to diagnose. Very unpredictable. But I can live with it, I found that if I keep the temperature stable (luckily it's in its own little room), and don't turn it off and let it cool down, it very rarely happens.

What IS certain is that when I boot it from my "PT-disk", MacOS 10.6.8 and PT10.3.10 it never happens. I have also had this mac running 10.10, 10.8 and Lion for years without this problem.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
The sad thing is that Apple made it so the mac pro 3.1 won't install mac os above 10.11. I also have that mac, and I'm running it with sierra 10.12.5, I found a hacked version of mac os installer. But it's not recommended.
Can't a 3,1 be flashed to run later than El Crapitan?

QAPLA!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Can't a 3,1 be flashed to run later than El Crapitan?
AFAIK, the 2009 model (4,1) can be flashed to 2010 model (5,1) -- not the older 3,1 model -- but either way you should be able to find a patched installer that allows installing unsupported OSX (just that why would you do that, performance sucks when your hardware is old enough)
Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
AFAIK, the 2009 model (4,1) can be flashed to 2010 model (5,1) -- not the older 3,1 model -- but either way you should be able to find a patched installer that allows installing unsupported OSX (just that why would you do that, performance sucks when your hardware is old enough)
Right - see the link I posted earlier.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If your boot drive is SSD and you don't have very many VI's you run at the same time, just install there for convenience
Hey, sorry for the late answer...well, EastWest is a pretty large Plugin that needs lots of processing, at least it seems so. Combined with Battery 4 and some instrument plug ins I don't know if I should not go for optimum performance (at least with what I have )

To specify my question a little bit, where do I record to and where do I put the sample libraries of Symphonic Orchestra and Battery 4 for best performance?

I have now patched the Mac to High Sierra...so do I still record to the second hard drive (like in older versions where you were not supposed to record on the same drive that ProTools LE was installed on). And if I record onto a second hard drive due to better performance, is it reasonable to install sample libraries on a separate hard drive so the performance gets better? Even if this is the hard drive that is recorded to?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 AM

You tell me

If the sample libraries are large and many, then you likely need to use your fastest drive there. If you record a thousand tracks simultaneously you obviously need to use your fastest drive there.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patill View Post
Hey, sorry for the late answer...well, EastWest is a pretty large Plugin that needs lots of processing, at least it seems so. Combined with Battery 4 and some instrument plug ins I don't know if I should not go for optimum performance (at least with what I have )

To specify my question a little bit, where do I record to and where do I put the sample libraries of Symphonic Orchestra and Battery 4 for best performance?

I have now patched the Mac to High Sierra...so do I still record to the second hard drive (like in older versions where you were not supposed to record on the same drive that ProTools LE was installed on). And if I record onto a second hard drive due to better performance, is it reasonable to install sample libraries on a separate hard drive so the performance gets better? Even if this is the hard drive that is recorded to?
We are now two pages into this thread and you keep asking questions about what you should do with your computer and you have not told us near enough about the disk setup. You are just wasting time rephrasing the same question. Instead of doing that you need to.... just provide the frigging actual info we need. Everybody here who can help you fully understands your question enough to help. So to repeat...

What exact SSD make/model/size/spec and connected exactly how to what... slow motherboard SATA II, a faster PCIE SATA III card (what make/model), or much faster PCIe/AHCI SSDs or... ?

And some idea how large your sessions are would help... how much space on disk? How many audio tracks/what sample rate. Have you been running into errors? What exact ones? What is disk cache set to? EW sample cache?

What are you trying to do with EW plugins? You trying to stream a lot? Load them into EW RAM cache? Running into problems with plugins? -- What exact ones?

At some level anything will work. And without more info nobody here can give you any recommendations that could be trusted to be useful.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Its an AHCI SSD 500 GB in he PCIe 16 x slot of my Mac 3,1 and the same one in the PCIE 4x slot, so about 1300 read/write and 600 read/write.

Tracks about 30-40 and I´d use Symphonic Orchestra and choirs as an orchestra Plugin in the songs to give them the life I want...together with Battery 4 and Expand 2 Plugins, plus some audio tracks, mainly guitar
Old 10-01-2019, 10:18 AM

hey guys, is there any update on this?

Sorry if I cannot provide too much professional information, I'm making music for fun and for myself and am not as deep as some questions go.

I would just like to record some guitar, maybe bass and the drums come from Battery 4. Some sound effects come from East West and XPand2.

Is there a simple answer to this where I should put what?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patill View Post
Is there a simple answer to this where I should put what?
Put everything on your system drive and be prepared to move them away if the performance sucks