Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Splitting my hard drive to create an audio drive?

HI, GUY'S, I WAS JUST WOUNDERING IF ANY ONE COULD TELL ME HOW TO GO ABOUT SPLITTING MY HARD DRIVE TO CREATE AN AUDIO DRIVE FOR MY MUSIC FILES

THANKS
Old 02-17-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Splitting my hard drive to create an audio drive?

I would not recommend splitting a single drive as you want to, if performance is any part of your concern.

The reason you would split it is to provide a distinct backup disk for your audio projects or other relatively static file group vs your system files. I've done that in the past when I wanted a temporary backup partition until I moved the files off the computer.

When you split a single disk, the drive heads have to work harder to cover the two partitions since they have to move further to get both system and audio files, and your performance will most likely worsen.

Adding a 2nd hard drive would be - by far - the better option.

There's nothing wrong with creating a separate folder on the system drive called "tempbackups" or something instead of partitioning. I believe Disk Warrier can do partitioning of a live drive without wiping out all data (someone else can probably verify that). Then, if you use the partition as a temp backup area, the drive heads will actually have to travel a smaller distance for system-level reads since your temp backup partition will not normally be read during a session at all.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Splitting my hard drive to create an audio dr

As far as I know you either reinstall OSX, (and would need to have any important files backed up to somewhere besides the harddrive), then you can choose to partition the drive sometime during the setup. Or you can by software as mentioned above that will allow you to partion a drive with less chance of losing something important. Although I would agree another drive would probably be a better option.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Splitting my hard drive to create an audio dr

As cheap as drives are there no reason nor advantage to doing such.
Just get another drive.