Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Upgrading from MixPlus to HD1 - a few questions

Hi,

I'm an old-time MixPlus user. Here's what I've been running for years now:

G4/400 AGP, 1GB RAM
MixPlus
888/16
ATTO PCI-DC 16 dual-channel accelerator, two hotswap 10K cheetas in Glyph bay

Here's what I've got either on order will be ordering:

G5 DP 2.0 Ghz (refurbished)
1.5 GB RAM (stock 512, plus two additional Crucial 512 modules)
Other World Computing FW 800/400 200GB Drive (for starters)
HD-1 core (via Digi's current upgrade promotion, trading in Mix Core)
96 I/O

And here's my questions about it:

- Can someone give me an idea of how much more or less plug-in power I might expect between the Mix Plus system and an HD-1? If less, would my RTAS power coming from this new Mac make up for it?

- Does the 96 I/O sound pretty good? Other people I know have told me the converters are not as good as the 192, but in spite of that, will it be a worthwhile sonic upgrade from my old 888?

- I have a bunch of old plug-in floppy authorizations on my old system...can I trade in these towards iLok authorizations?

- Does anyone have any ideas or comments on my system?

Thanks SO MUCH for the help. I'm a little lost here, so any help on these questions would be amazing.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Upgrading from MixPlus to HD1 - a few questions

First off, you should hold off on getting a G5 till after June 28 because Apple is going to have new G5s but nobody really knows exactly what yet. You might still get one of the older G5s but at least they should be cheaper after that.

You will have a little less power with the HD1 than the Mixplus but it won't be that bad since you would be on a G5.

The 96 I/O is pretty good from what I hear but I don't know how it is compared to an 888/16 but I would guess it should definitely be better.

As long as you have the plugins registered, a quick call to Digi customer service after you register your new system will get all your Digi distributed plugins deposited into your iLok.com account. For third party plugins, you will have to contact the manufacturer to find out about upgrade fees and so forth.

I would highly recommend going for the HD2 Accel upgrade if you can just because you would have a lot more power and you get a lot of free plugins with it. Send me a quick email at [email protected] and I can give you some other ideas.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Upgrading from MixPlus to HD1 - a few questions

Just contacted you also Vaphoron
Thanks

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.