Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2016, 10:06 AM

Default bug fixes (e.g. 12.5.x) no longer included w/o support plan, right?

hi everyone-

i know at one point back in the day, bug fix releases (e.g. 12.5.x) were going to be available w/o active support plans.

then there was the 11.3.2 fiasco, where it seemed like the resolution was that bug fix updates weren't available after all, but Avid made an exception and sent 11.3.2 out.

i'm about to let my HD support plan lapse, 'cause i've had enough, and because Avid eventually rewards holdouts at some point down the road. just want to confirm that i won't in fact have access to 12.5.1

thanks-
Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Re: bug fixes (e.g. 12.5.x) no longer included w/o support plan, right?

I think you're right but it's a disgrace that bug fixes for software you already paid for are not included!
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjewel View Post
... it's a disgrace that bug fixes for software you already paid for are not included!

For those on Perpetual Licenses:
If bug fixes are an acknowledgement of product flaws, one should expect free bug fixes, for the life of Pro Tools 12.
Especially if one bought Pro Tools 12, having read Tony Cariddi (Avid):
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2191911&postcount=8
“Yes, dot releases are included without a support plan.”

My iLok license is for all versions of Pro Tools 12.

I expect Avid to fix the Noise Blasts in Pro Tools 12.4 (for those whose perpetual license stops at 12.4) – otherwise, have those customers bought a product that is “not fit for purpose” - especially when it comes to risking potential hearing damage?

Same goes for those whose perpetual license stops at 12.5 – they should also expect free bug fixes for the life of Pro Tools 12 – e.g.
PT12.5 Does NOT fix GUI Lagging as it proclaims
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=380369

Why should we be charged for the removal of bugs (that shouldn’t have been there in the first place)?

Member homebasesound nailed it in one!
“Only new features should be linked to active subscriptions”.

I agree:
Fix the bugs, charge for extra features.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I think you're right but it's a disgrace that bug fixes for software you already paid for are not included!
Everything about this situation is awful. Seriously, I'm in an active support situation and I can't even use 12, have been told by Avid to go back to 11 for now BUT i've paid for 12. It doesn't get much worse than that as a consumer, the stress and aggravation has probably effected my health to some degree as well.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
Everything about this situation is awful. Seriously, I'm in an active support situation and I can't even use 12, have been told by Avid to go back to 11 for now BUT i've paid for 12. It doesn't get much worse than that as a consumer, the stress and aggravation has probably effected my health to some degree as well.
I have a very simple thought on this, if you paid and it doesn't work, provided that your system is Avid qualified, you should get your money back for the subscription and a free working copy of PT 12 when it is fit for purpose.

If Avid are unwilling to extend you or anyone else in your position a similar courtesy then I would investigate other legal alternatives.
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:20 AM

Hi everyone-

thanks for chiming in. that's more or less what i understood to be true, and it's good to have corroboration.

could anyone from Avid chime in to confirm the same, in some semi-official capacity?

thanks-
Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 AM

For all who have already bought Pro Tools 12:

Quote:
a free working copy of PT 12 when it is fit for purpose
A commendable alternative, because there’s something else to consider – previously mentioned in Post #12:

“long term happy client relationship”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
hmm so 12 was no good for you on yosemite even? (i noticed your system specs).

I thought it might fix my el capitan issues where PT 12 is unusable as its so slow, therefore killing any creative process, however i have been unable to get that answer out of anyone so far. What was it about 12 that didn't work for you?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

I was mad when they announced an annual subscription. I don't want upgrade all the time. Once every two years was my average.

Well I reluctantly jumped on board with my 599.00 fee.

So far that money has been wasted. This software is unusable. At least for my hefty fee I would have a solid working version right? Nope.

I will not be renewing anything until avid gets their crap together and starts releasing quality software.

This is a joke to be frank. No way to regain your crown in the daw world. You are alienating 80 percent of your user base. Not smart.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I was mad when they announced an annual subscription. I don't want upgrade all the time. Once every two years was my average.

Well I reluctantly jumped on board with my 599.00 fee.

So far that money has been wasted. This software is unusable. At least for my hefty fee I would have a solid working version right? Nope.

I will not be renewing anything until avid gets their crap together and starts releasing quality software.

This is a joke to be frank. No way to regain your crown in the daw world. You are alienating 80 percent of your user base. Not smart.
+1