Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Pro Tools keeps shutting down Mbox2

When I start my computer my Mbox 2 Pro works fine with all audio on my computer e.g. I can play mp3's, I can open Sonar 8 and it works fine etc... but as soon as I open PT 8 it stops working JUST PLAIN NO SOUND!!

I see all the tracks playing OK, outputs are all set correctly, no mutes etc..

PT opens and obviously is seeing the device as it does not say 'device not found' and it is listed as active under hardware audio devices.

So, I close PT and now nothing else works on my computer, even though it was all working fine before. The Mbox is still shown as active in Control Panel Audio, still shown as active in Sonar BUT NOTHING.

I have to un plug it and plug it back in for anything else to work - except PT still won't play through it. The only way to get PT to work is to re start the freakin' computer and make sure I don't open anything else first.

CHRIST, I am really starting to really hate Digidesign, I never have these problems with Cakewalk. How can Sonar work fine with it but PT (which is designed for it) does not?

I have the latest drivers and I have re installed them once already with no change in behavior.

I am using XP home sp3 with a TI FW interface

Last edited by Strebor24; 09-05-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools keeps shutting down Mbox2

Which drivers did you reinstall? All the drivers you need are installed when you install PT LE. If you also installed the standalone drivers that could be the issue. If you did, I would suggest you uninstall those drivers and Pro Tools LE and then just reinstall Pro Tools.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM

I think that it's an issue with my internet connection and or AVG Anti Virus, I can't tell which because I don't want to leave the internet connected with the anti virus off.

When I remove my ethernet cable and turn off AVG everything seems to work correctly (so far).
I know that it's a common problem with Norton / Mc afee, on other DAW software but I've always had good luck with AVG, guess perhaps PT doesn't like it?

Any known issues with AVG and PT?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:49 PM

There are numerous AVG users here...

You should consider The Weed's question more closely. If you have installed any of the Standalone driver packages along with Pro Tools, this could be your problem. All of the down-loadable Standalone driver packages are meant to be installed only on a system without Pro Tools...
Quote:
  • Please Note: Pro Tools 6, 7, or 8 users should NOT install the Standalone Digidesign Audio Drivers from this page, but should use the versions included with their Pro Tools installation.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks, I did consider Weeds answer carefully... really

The only drivers installed are the ones that came with PT 8 (during the original install) I have NOT installed any other drivers. The problem has been like this since the first install (about 2 weeks ago).

I have 5 start up proccesses:
i) NvCpl (Nvidea - which I am not - the card is removed I probably should disable that)
ii) avgtray; MMERefresh (which was put there by PT during install)
iii) ctfmon and
iv) Pro Tools 8 registration (BTW I have not registered my version yet, but I don't see why that would make a difference - perhaps it's trying to register at start up or something weird).

I don't even know what drivers were installed from the PT 8 disk, I thought they would be ASIO (I was not given a choice during installation) the fact that a start up process is called MMERefresh makes me think that they are MME drivers.

Everything starts up fine with AVG disabled (I am able to enable it after start up with no problems).

Basically what happens is the units orange power light flashes on and off while all the other LED's blink on/off together (at random).

No big deal, I'll just disable AVG before power down.

After some research I see that ctfmon is a MS Office file and I have never had Office on this computer.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:33 AM

Then what did you mean by this line in your original post:

"I have the latest drivers and I have re installed them once already with no change in behavior."

This is why I asked my question.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM

I'm getting the same thing with my 003R and BOY have I been going to hell and back w/Pro-Tools since I upgraded to the Quad/002/003 and 8.0

You mentioned AVG and I'm curious to know if you did an update with your AVG system recently, as when I did a fresh image recovery to get myself up and running after a recent hard drive fry, when I updated AVG I started noticing these problems (not sure, but just a hunch).

LITERALLY, as I'm running PT (and yes I have the 8.0.1 revision), I'll notice a little bit of stuttering of audio (I am using an approved Firewire card now), and then out of nowhere, the 1394 light on the 003 shuts off and Pro-Tools can't communicated w/any connected peripherals (i.e. My Motormix). Then the PPI issue crops up (likely b/c it can't communicate w/the 003R). Then when I try to close it out, it hangs, the usual Windows dialog box (end program) comes up, and then after I click END PROGRAM, it then closes.

If I try to use a STANDALONE VI which can use the 003R as a soundcard, it says CORE AUDIO ERROR, meaning it can't access the 003R. Only when I restart is everything back to normal.

I'm getting sick of all of this too, but I'm trying to correct it all. I'm losing a lot of money due to the mess w/PT this summer, but although I've followed 95% of all guidelines in building my computer, doing the necessary optimizations and using all approved Digi Hardware, I'm still willing to pull through and get this working. $$ needs to come in.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-06-2009, 02:28 PM

I want to make an addendum to my last post, b/c by having ANY Anti-Virus software on my PT system, I'm NOT following guidelines, EVEN IF people on this forum recommend it. When I DISABLE AVG, I DON'T get the stuttering of the AUDIO, nor does PT and the 003 SHUTDOWN (at least for now). So maybe its time to either RID MY SYSTEM OF AVG or Recover another image YET AGAIN and this time NOT INSTALL AVG.

Pffffffffffffff. I tell ya, sometimes working with PT is a constant UPHILL battle!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Time to start keeping an eye on this issue. It will be a shame if AVG is becoming problematic with PT...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:46 PM

Nope, It's Back! I'm going to recover a WinXPSP3 Image for the 80th time, reinstall PT 8.0.1 for teh 80th time and install each plug in one by one! This is FRUSTRATING!!!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core