Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2001, 04:07 PM

Default Re: track number for RealVerb RTAS?

I tried the demo of RealVerb and loved it. May purchase it myself when I get a G4.
From what I've seen, don't expect to be able to use more than 4-5 RealVerbs at once. More RAM won't help this,I guess because there really isn't anything to store in RAM, essentially, your CPU has to do the work on the fly.
If I have the tracks available, I don't mind printing my FX to a couple of tracks. Also, consider using aux channels, eg for backround vocals, and placing a verb on them.
Fellas, correct my if I'm leading any sheep astray, but I think this is reasonably accurate.
Have a good time all the time...
kc
Old 02-05-2001, 04:25 PM

Realverb has a nice sound. Like any good reverb plugin, it does consume a lot of processor cycles.

The best way to use it is to put one or two realverb plugins on seperate channels and use sends from all the channels you want reverb on, then mix in a 100% wet signal from the plug in to taste.

FWIW, you can run maybe 3-4 realverbs on a 500mhz G4 before it runs out of processor power.

Old 02-05-2001, 05:30 PM

I think that if you took a survey on currently available RTAS reverb plugins, Realverb would come at #1 or #2 (Renaissance Reverb is another good one, and TruVerb is also decent). The Ren Reverb is much more CPU dependant than Realverb. I personally think RealVerb sounds better than TruVerb.

On my G4/400 I get between 1 and 3 instances ("uses") on a tune. It depends GREATLY on how many tracks, edits, automation, and other plugins you've got going.

Remember, you'll be setting it up logically like you do the Zoom - with an aux send to a bus (instead of an output), and an aux track as a return (using the bus as the input), so the number of tracks you get isn't relevant - you'll get all of them: it's the number of instances.

I'm pretty sure that Kind of Loud has a demo that you can download and use for something like 10 days before it quits.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-06-2001, 12:44 AM

Default track number for RealVerb RTAS?

Hey all:'

I did a search but didn't find the exact answer I needed, so here goes:
I have a G4 400 with 192 megs of memory. No problems so far running protools LE with the 001, but we want to get a basic but good reverb to compliment the RTAS tools that came with the setup. I am looking at RealVerb because 1) it seems inexpensive as a standalone plugin ( I don't want or need the gazillions of special dealy plug-ins and don't want to buy the whole packages) and 2) it has received favorable reports as to realism and usability.

Question: How many tracks will I be able to 'verb at once with my setup? WHat is the limit? Will this be limited by the memory or the Computer speed? AM I asking the right questions? I am used to dealing with either my Roland 880 or using the in-outs on the 001 setup to feed to and return from a Zoom reverb, which is going through an anlogue patch in and out, and can only do two channels / mix busses at once. This sounds okay but I suspect a RealVerb would be more flexible in terms of sound and usability.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos Alden
Old 02-06-2001, 09:45 AM

You are mistaken about RAM.
Although the processor does do the the job that actually needs to be done in real time. For a procfeesor to process anything it needs to be stored in Ram first so that it can manipulate it.
also when the reverb plays the original peice a millisecond later in order to actually create the reverb effect it must be stord in ram for those milliseconds so that it can be called back up. The same way a delay would work.
so if you have 8 reverbs going all eight of the realtime instances need to be put in ram for processing then held there untill their delay time or reverb millisecond time is up.
I have six forty ram, and dual 450 PRocessor
and get 9 D-verbs and one compressor.
Old 02-06-2001, 09:51 AM

It loads int Ram using Fibbinaccis principle
if you know what that is.
this priciple also describes how tree braches grow
and how rabits spawn
and how info is loaded into ram in realtime, and then passed

more on this later_+@(@**@*@^
*@&@%^@ *@
things are breaking up @@!#!~~~**(
$#@)*# (# #
93 *
# 6 #
Old 02-06-2001, 03:45 PM

In one of the performance threads, we tested with "Be There" with (roughly) default settings, adding as many D-Verbs as possible

400MHz machines added about 4, 500MHz about 6. Not a big difference, but one reverb equals a lot of other, less consuming effects like EQ and compressor.

I don't believe that memory helps, but it's so cheap now you need to get a lot of it for social status.

9 D-verbs is impressive on a dual 450, but that's with only one compressor added.
Old 02-06-2001, 06:41 PM

I'm working on a song now which has medium edit info, medium automation, 18 tracks with about 18 plugs (compressors and eq) I'm able to successfully run 2 instances of Realverb on the Auxs.

500 mhz G3
192 meg ram