Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2002, 02:48 PM

Default what\'s the skinny with Appletalk?

Does, leaving it on, still mess with PT? and how so?

I work with it off. I know I can disable the omf waring but I would like to know if Digi still remains cautious of Appletalk being left on while working in PT

thanks
scott
Old 02-07-2002, 03:29 PM

Default Re: what\'s the skinny with Appletalk?

When you're doing high performance audio, you should leave your network settings off. We don't even have our PT-rigs networked since we have removeable drives at each station, but I have quite a few clients that do have them networked. With Appletalk turned on, you're allowing any other computer on the network to contact it whenever it wants to which can interfere with the stability of the system... this isn't just a ProTools thing but any audio application. Just a good idea not to have it on while working. When you need to move files around, then obviously turn it on but remember to turn back off before you start working....
Old 02-07-2002, 03:33 PM

We leave apple talk on. We don't have problems. We have been using appletalk for years.
We use appletalk to file share between control rooms and a file servers that store SFX or distribute our work on the internet. I'm sure it is probably better to have appletalk off, but from a practical point of view, it works. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Roy Machado
Dallas Audio Post Group
Old 02-07-2002, 04:08 PM

Consider yourself lucky.... ;-) Had a client lose a project because it was left on but that is also rare.... if it works, hey... leave it on. Back to Nyquil land ;-( I was so sick the other night that I was errrr well, what you do when you're sick, it caused a couple of blood vessels in my head to break open! ;-( At least I can see again though ;-) Medication is gooooooood wooohooo Sorry, meds talking again...
Old 02-07-2002, 04:13 PM

When you launch PT with AppleTalk enabled, it is actually OMS that gives the warning that AppleTalk is on and "makes MIDI less reliable," so I would say, if you are doing MIDI with Pro Tools, turn AppleTalk off.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:17 PM

We use Appletalk over Ethernet, and have for years, with no ill effects whatsoever. If you use DigiStudio (which I got a demo of the other day and was very impressed with), it's a must.

We do keep file sharing off so that the machine doesn't appear on the network for someone to log on to. We can log on to other volumes if we want to, as long as those remote machines have file sharing turned on.

JK
Old 02-07-2002, 05:25 PM

Oh, yeah, by the way, if you use Appletalk over Ehternet, it shouldn't mess with MIDI over your serial ports. We have noticed no effect on timing (or anything else.)

Of course we're not running 128 channels of flat-out MIDI, either, so YMMV.

JK
Old 02-07-2002, 08:13 PM

in modern mac os (since 8.6?) oms seems to be operating on a different plane than appletalk. we run all our systems, heavy with midi/video/audio, with appletalk on, sharing each others drives. you do need to watch how many people you let on to your system at a time, and if someone is gonna copy over a 200meg file they should let you know first!

all in all it is awesome. for the transfering REALLY big files we use...........our iPods! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2002, 06:51 AM

Yep, we too do heavy midi,audio, and video with appletalk on, in several rooms, never a problem.
I often have email running...but i am a cowboy!

mesh