Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2004, 04:26 AM

Default HD systems soon to be ABANDONED too, suckers!

Have you ever seen a good system with an Atto Card, No, because some Macs dont work with Atto which is why no one in their right mind will buy this card that is a 500 dollar card that does nothing and does not work with pro tools, even atto the company itself when you call them up on the phone, they say not to use Atto for pro tools because all they get is complaints. They will tell you point blank, this card is not compatable with Pro Tools.

why has digidesign told me to buy this card when anyone with a working system does not use atto, I have been in many studio's in LA and nobody uses the atto card why? Because they do not work with all macs , they might work with some macs but not all and certainly not any of my three G4
s. Now all my friends laugh at me for spending 15,000 dollars on pro tools tdm when I could have used audacity which is FREE (blows pro tools free) and GOT MORE FREAKIN TRACKS TO PLAY.

No one who uses pro tools will admit there system wanks because they just dropped 20 Large, well I spent over 20 thousand dollars on pro tools tdm (888 version) and it still since the day I bought it (brand new) will not work, I use audacity now, don't laugh, it actually is better than Pro tools, and it runs better for sure, I can get over 20 tracks

why doesn't anyone use the Atto card? ask people and they will tell you atto is not the card to buy.
But silly me I listened to Digidesign.
Just because you guys check pro tools on 1 g4 doesn't mean they work on all of them, you should tell people to buy a different card not the atto, when there are other cards out there that may work, You guys only push Atto for the $$$$,
Over the years I have had a few oppurtunities to have a few engineers over here who are absolute EXPERTs and I mean experts, and they could not get my system to work,
Impotant Lesson: Dont get what digi tells you to get for your system, because it's not that it might work with the system, it's that that card makes more money than any other.for digidesign
I am not wining people, I have moved on allready but the entire life of my system, it has not performed like digi advertises.
it's a joke, I can't play even 10 tracks let alone the 64 track WHOPPER.
I don't mean to have a bad tone but I have been trying to get my system to just play ONE TRACK for years, while I watch people use free systems and get 24 tracks.

It just hurts man, twenty thousand dollar investment from a blue collar guy, that's everything I got, and I got absolutley Ripped off by Digidesign, The 20 thousand dollar investment is with the new announcement of digi that my system is officially dead, never worked for a single day. How is that for being ripped off. from twenty thousand to Worthless in less than a second.

Thanks digi

Old 05-30-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: HD systems soon to be ABANDONED too, suckers!

how bout Firewire? been working here for years.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:10 AM

>>Have you ever seen a good system with an Atto Card, No, because some Macs dont work with Atto which is why no one in their right mind will buy this card that is a 500 dollar card that does nothing and does not work with pro tools, even atto the company itself when you call them up on the phone, they say not to use Atto for pro tools because all they get is complaints. They will tell you point blank, this card is not compatable with Pro Tools.<<

I have an HD3, on a G4 dual 1-gig, ATTO UL3D, a bunch of fast/wide scsi drives, running 6.4 on OS 10.3.4. Runs great, always has. Same system also runs great using firewire; I suppose I keep up the scsi thing because I can, and also because still too mnay stages have scsi hot-swap carriers, etc. I'm glad to have all the options that HD provides.

That said, before you spout off again, it might behoove you to read a few pages of manuals, digi documents. This configurfation you belittle works great; many will attest to that. But if you have problems, it would also behoove you to ask relevant, pertinent questions; it's a way to get past a technical problem and back on the road to successful ProTooling.

Craig
Old 05-30-2004, 06:56 AM

Interesting........Ive used My Atto SCSI 64 card on my Dual 867 G4 with my Mix System and also my HD system and had none of the problems uve mentioned. I also use firewire as well and have always had a great track count with both systems/ No i wont admit that my system blows brcause it works very well for me
Old 05-30-2004, 07:04 AM

My atto cards work perfectly in my dual G4 OSX machine running mix + with 3 888|24 and half an adat bridge....wonder what's wrong with your setup, cause it isn't the ATTO (unless you've got some improper settings).

It also ran without a hitch on the old 700mHz blue and white G3. Seriously man, you spend 20 large (i wish that's all we spent) and you do what you can to make it work...I think you may have given up too soon.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Now all my friends laugh at me for spending 15,000 dollars on pro tools tdm when I could have used audacity which is FREE (blows pro tools free) and GOT MORE FREAKIN TRACKS TO PLAY.

No one who uses pro tools will admit there system wanks because they just dropped 20 Large, well I spent over 20 thousand dollars on pro tools tdm (888 version) and it still since the day I bought it (brand new) will not work, I use audacity now, don't laugh, it actually is better than Pro tools, and it runs better for sure, I can get over 20 tracks

it's a joke, I can't play even 10 tracks let alone the 64 track WHOPPER.
I don't mean to have a bad tone but I have been trying to get my system to just play ONE TRACK for years, while I watch people use free systems and get 24 tracks.

hmmm.... do you mean you cant run more than 10 tracks with the atto card? I seem to be doing fine now at 40+ tracks using stock IDE drives.

not to joke fun at you BUt time is money. why dont you get a different computer or ace the Atto card altogether?

and if garage band suits your needs then so be it.

lose the atto card to the first sucker that comes along. take a loss, so what. if it's keeping you from using your digi system altogether.

something doesnt jive here. you probably have a bad core card.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:32 AM

Let's see.....G4 500, G4 867 and currently a G4 Dual 1.0 using(still!!!!) the original ATTO 64 card. I've not had any of the issues you mentioned, either on OS 9 or X(any version).

Too many variables to go over here. Have to spoken w/Tech Support?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:39 AM

my Atto has been working great too..........

Remember when looking at drive specs.......most specs show you acess time (9.5ms, etc) thats great for the the first blast of info, but its SUSTAINED THROUGHPUT that make all those edits and screen redraws happen fast.
Thats why UltraSCSI and its like technologies have been a mainstay for people in Audio and Video.

Firewire and SATA are starting to make a serious play for the market, but people that know the difference arent ready to jump just yet, but mabe soon.......
Old 05-30-2004, 09:47 AM

My HD system/G4 dual 1gig with many SCSI drives and Atto UL3d card work great........ not one problem........Maybe you should have someone setup your system because it seems you don't know what your doing.....
Old 05-30-2004, 10:06 AM

ATTO UL3D HD3 working flawless, Who did you say came and set this up for you ? Have you called Digi with your problems and when did you purchase this ? Give us some system info and maybe we can help.