Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-05-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Help needed importing/exporting files

Help needed importing/exporting files to Cubase SX 2 and Logic audio 5.1

Hello all,

I work with PT 6.4 and work together with friends of mine who use Cubase / Logic. They live far away from me, so by now we exchange files as mp3 via email. But since one of the guys is a drummer, it gets pretty much work, importing and exporting the wav / mp3 files. Is there a way to open a Pro Tools file in Logic Audio and Cubase and to open a Logic or Cubase File in Pro Tools?? The OMF export-import does not work. Right now I guess the only way is to work with wav files? (I am aware that this means shipping a CD with the audio data.)

Any ideas or help are highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Andi

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Help needed importing/exporting files

What do you mean "The OMF export-import does not work"? I've used OMF to move sessions between Logic and Pro Tools.

Your only other option is consolidating all tracks from bar 1 and exporting (Ctrl+Shift+K).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-06-2004, 03:01 AM

Quote:
What do you mean "The OMF export-import does not work"? I've used OMF to move sessions between Logic and Pro Tools.

Your only other option is consolidating all tracks from bar 1 and exporting (Ctrl+Shift+K).

Rail
well Rail, I mean that it simply does not work because no audio data is found. the regions appear correctly, but theres no audio in it and he won´t find it, even if I show him the files. The other reason is that the program (digitranslator?) of wich I use the demo right now costs 495 €. and for that, I can export a lot of wav´s ;-)

Ctrl+Shift+K sounds very interesting, I´ll have to try that. I´m still very new to this all though...

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 11-06-2004, 04:00 PM

From the manual:

<font color="darkblue"> When consolidating an audio track, a new audio file is written that encompasses the selection range, including any blank space.

Consolidating an audio track does not con-solidate underlying automation data. To create a single file with automation data applied to the audio, use Bounce to Disk (see “Bounce to Disk” on page 482).

To consolidate regions within a track:
1 Using the Grabber or Selector, select the re-gions you want to consolidate.
– or –
To select all regions in a track, triple-click in its playlist with the Selector.
2 Choose Edit > Consolidate Selection.
A new, single region is created that replaces the previously selected regions, including any blank space. If working with an audio track, a new audio file is written (with the Audio Suite Dupli-cate plug-in).
When consolidating audio regions with the Consolidate Selection command, if the selec-tion contains muted regions, the muted regions are treated as silence. Whether or not a track is muted, or contains Mute automation, does not affect the Consolidate Selection command.

It's there if you know what to look for.

A friend of mine sent me a Cubase session the other day that consisted of 28 WAVs of equal length. But that was it! No other info than the names of the tracks. Guess he figures I'll enjoy working out what he's trying to achieve. But it shows that Cubase can do it.

I think the thing to do is agree with the others on the layout of your tracks and what plug-ins you may be using, and be sure to label the tracks completely clearly, that way you can slot in new versions of tracks from them without having to waste time working out which goes where.

Oh, and back your session up and rename logically before consolidating - you'll probably want to go back to the unconsolidated version.

I can't stress how important naming stuff properly is - especially if you're sending stuff back and forth. And sticking to an agreed standard. It all makes sense (to you!) on the day, but six months later files with names like take1, take2, mix6, good one, best so far, etc can be a nightmare to work out.

You could keep a notepad file open, takes notes as you go, and include this notepad file when you send it out.

Maybe you could experiment with sending the preferences files for plug-ins (those plug-ins that create any) and seeing if they'll duplicate a set-up when running in other software.

Maybe others here have their own tricks...

Old 11-06-2004, 04:36 PM

Karel, thank you so much! This all is so much in fo in so less time, it´s all brand new for me...

www.audio-machinery.com