Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 AM

Default new macbook pro 16gb ram

Hi,

Is anyone finding that 16 GB of RAM is not enough / unworkable for current Pro Tools? I am asking because the new Macbook Pro tops out at 16 GB.

Thanks,

MD

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-15-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: making sense
Old 12-15-2016, 04:18 AM

Default Re: new macbook pro 16gb ram

We are doing Billboard hits from hotelrroms on a rMBP with just 8GB and 250GB Intel internal drive amd lots of VI and pligins when DJ's are involved

PT12.6.1 and Sierra 10.12 and works fantastic. Yes we bounce some VI when we get up to the higher count anc commit to sound but no issues here. We have no external drive even and still that MBP late 2013 runs like a best friend

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2016, 09:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for responding. Its good to know that its workable. I notice in your signature that you have a number of systems, including another MBPr system with 16 Gb RAM. Does that one work any "better" than the 8 Gb machine?

Also, is there a good way to lock Pro Tools to to blackburst on a Macbook Pro?

Anyone else using Macbook Pro for PT feel free to chime in!

Thanks again.

MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We are doing Billboard hits from hotelrroms on a rMBP with just 8GB and 250GB Intel internal drive amd lots of VI and pligins when DJ's are involved

PT12.6.1 and Sierra 10.12 and works fantastic. Yes we bounce some VI when we get up to the higher count anc commit to sound but no issues here. We have no external drive even and still that MBP late 2013 runs like a best friend

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-15-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:59 PM

Hi

IMHO they are almost identical. The 16GB has Sierra on it and the 8GB has 10.8.5 and I usually take the 8GB one with me when we are producing someone on their tours so if you have 16GB you will definitely be OK.

All The Best
Christopher

PS. Regarding Blackburst and sync video signals etc, that is not my wheelhouse and would feel wrong to comment so hopefullly someone else will answer that.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Also, is there a good way to lock Pro Tools to to blackburst on a Macbook Pro?
My understanding is that the only way to have PT resolve itself to black burst (vary sample rate to regulate its speed) is with a Sync HD.

http://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-sync-hd

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:52 PM

Hi,

Well, you don't need to vary sample rate to lock to blackburst. You can use any sample rate.

In my current HD system, using a Macpro Tower with a bunch of cards installed, and 3 Digi 192 interfaces gleaming in the sun :), I don't believe I needed a Sync I/O to lock to blackburst. Any / all of the interfaces accept video in. You also don't need "loop sync". Just reference everything to the same clock.

I may be wrong on 192 I/O accepting video. You may have to generate word clock from something already locked to video.

But with a new Macbook Pro, how do you connect an interface [and which one] that can be clocked at all? I guess it can be done, but I have never really used a laptop that way, and I want to be sure.

Who knows? Please chime in!

Thanks,

MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
My understanding is that the only way to have PT resolve itself to black burst (vary sample rate to regulate its speed) is with a Sync HD.

http://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-sync-hd

Last edited by mightyduck; 12-16-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:41 AM

Hi,

Another question. Do you find any difference in performance using internal vs. external drives?

The new MBP offers up to 2 TB SSD. It seems expensive, even for Apple, but they say its "optimized" and super fast. Just wondering if using internal storage has any issues.

Thanks again for your helpful responses.

MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

Old 12-17-2016, 03:10 AM

Hey

We have a 1TB SSD in the 16 GB rMBP and only 256 GB in the 8 GB one and honestly those drives (both of them) are extremely fast, we haven't had any need for external drives as those speeds and power the internal drives delivers you don't need any outside help. I know Avid says yes you do but that was when people used spinner drives like 5400/7200 rpm but with SSD/internal Flash drives those perform better than a external drive.

However when we aren't on the road we use our trashcans and the 16GB rMBP in the studios and then we hook up external SSD drives for recording and sample libraries.

But as stated by me and others, we could mke a radio production just with the internal drive today as they are insanely fast and reliable

All this is IMHO of course and is not to be taken as gospel

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-17-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Hi,

Well, you don't need to vary sample rate to lock to blackburst. You can use any sample rate.
I'm afraid you've misunderstood what I said. When I said "vary the sample rate", that's how digital devices stay completely resolved to each other. They do this microscopically. Tiny variations regulate their speed, there's no other way to do it and not have them drift over time.

Sync has two elements, location and speed. Timecode gives you location, sample rate regulates speed.

See an old thread like this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=110458

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:57 PM

Hi,

I definitely don't want to get into an argument about digital audio, but I think I disagree with what you're saying, or maybe the way you are saying it.

Multiple digital devices should be resolved to a very stable common clock, and they should not [hopefully] "vary the sample rate" while locked.

Are you talking about jitter? Or phase locked loops, or something like that?

The only other thing I can think of that sounds like what you are saying is what happens if you have Pro Tools chasing a free-running tape machine, like with an old SMPTE Slave Driver. That was a situation where the sample rate was constantly being varied to track the wow and flutter of the tape transport. And it sounded like crap, IIRC.

Anyhow, lets not argue, and I am always willing to learn, as I am sure most of us are. We can discuss this further and hopefully clarify everything.

Meanwhile, if anyone can talk about different options to use a laptop while locking Pro Tools to Video Blackburst, I would love to listen. I understand there is a new Thunderbolt Native, or something like that, but maybe I could use some of my older cards and older 192 interfaces. Anyone?

Thanks,

MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I'm afraid you've misunderstood what I said. When I said "vary the sample rate", that's how digital devices stay completely resolved to each other. They do this microscopically. Tiny variations regulate their speed, there's no other way to do it and not have them drift over time.

Sync has two elements, location and speed. Timecode gives you location, sample rate regulates speed.

See an old thread like this:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=110458