Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Latency Math- please help!

OK- I've tried to find answers to this but I'm having a hard time...

When I either bus a group of tracks to a new stereo track for recording a submix (ex: drums) to save tracks, why does the new track not line up exactly in time with the original? Is it the plug-ins and the sends on the original track?

Does anyone know the formula for how many samples the new track would have to be nudged?

What about if I re-amp a guitar track: send it out the 001 output # 3 to an amp, record it via mic back in Input 1- any math help on that one?

I know I could probably figure it out on my own by recording one track in the above method(s) and then nudge until I get complete phase cancellation but my hope is that SOMEONE has already done the math and can help me out!!

Thanks!

------------------
---
Joe Mazza
Average Joe Music
Old 04-02-2001, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Latency Math- please help!

I´m totally new to this and would like to ask YOU a question: What if I play let´s say 16 tracks of audio and want to record 1 new track of vocals or guitars, do you say that the new track I just recorded will NOT be in time? Do I have to nudge each recorded track forward every time? That would be awful !!!
Waht if I want to mix 12 tracks to 2 internally? Will I also get the same effect and have to nudge the newly created stero track? Thanks for the help, George
Old 04-02-2001, 04:04 PM

Hi Joe,

I recently performed some tests with a click track. The original click stayed in PT. The other click (an exact copy) went out and back in (da-ad), via the 001 interface.

When I soloed the 2 clicks, there was a noticeable phase cancellation. I nudged the 2nd click that was going thru the da-ad ahead about 50 milliseconds or so. The clicks lined up, and where basically dead on at that point.

I have not tried this experiment with other instruments. But I believe that the track would be delayed about the same amount? (ie. with gtr tracks) And would need to be nudged about 50 milliseconds or so.

I have some outboard gear that I want to use which is why I went thru this test in the 1st place.

Finally, I would always check for phase cancellation whenever taking a signal out of PT and back in. I also would not trust any math formulas, as the situations may be different.

Good luck with the recording,

Carl Roa -gtr player from UM

ps. Say hi to Mike for me...
Old 04-02-2001, 09:00 PM

George-

New tracks will be in time- PT takes care of that for you. As far as a 12 track mix submixed to 2, well, that's what I'm working on now- it seems that it does not get recorded in exactly the same place as the original audio.

Carl- HEY! Thanks for the reply- I'm doing similar testing now. I was talking to another UM friend (Vinnie Alibrandi) about this and he said he always just does it by ear as well. That's definitely the best method, I'm sure. It just seems that with the different buffer settings (PT and DAE) there could be a logical way to really figure this out- but I'm sure not too many of us musicians would be able to work a formula anyway!

Good to hear from you- I'll tell Mike you said hello!
Joe

------------------
---
Joe Mazza
Average Joe Music