Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Connecting 2 MBox - 1 Computer ¿?

Greetings, everyone!

I was wondering if two MBox can be connected to the same computer and if that would enable 2 to 4 simultaneous recording channels in the same session. I work doing radio stuff, such as commercials (wich need no more than two active mics per recording), but I'm planning a radiodrama show and in that case I may need more mics and more tracks enabled for "live character interaction".

I already have one Mbox 2 (with two mic inputs), and I recently saw a very interesting bundle that made me think of the possibility of connecting two MBox to the same computer so I can get what I need.

I hope someone knows if that can be done, or can recommend some other way to get what I look for... My e-mail is [email protected]... Thanks!!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Connecting 2 MBox - 1 Computer ¿?

nope, no can do, one Digi device at a time.

So you either need to upgrade to at least an Mbox Pro and buy two mic pre's along with it for a total of 4 mic inputs, or look into a Digi 003 or used Digi 002.

The other option is to purchase a 2ch mic pre with S/PDIF digital outputs. That would allow you two more inputs into your current Mbox.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:40 AM

You can also expand the Mbox2pro to 6 inputs or your mbox 1 or mbox 2 to 4 inputs by getting a preamp with spdif digital outs. Like This Or you could always go the M powered route and get even more inputs.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Using preamp and Mbox.

First of all, thank you very much for your answers on my last question!!

So, I started looking for all the suggestions you gave me, and found myself with some other questions...

Considering my current budget, I think the best choice would be getting a preamp just as you said. My questions, then, are about the S/PDIF outputs and the connections that need to be done so I can use another 2 mics at the same time, and have a total of 4 in one session.

I have a Mbox 2 and in the S/PDIF section there's only 1 IN and 1 OUT (RCA). I saw the ART TPS II (thanks again, finkbmx) and in the back pannel it has 1 S/PDIF OUT (it looks like RCA too), so I guess all I'll have to do is make that connection between ART TPS and Mbox, and enjoy of having enabled the 2 mics of the preamp, and the other 2 of the MBox... am I right?

If I'm not, probably that's why I don't really know where that "third line" would end up in the recording session...

Will/can it be enabled as another recording channel?
Both mics in the preamp, though controled in separated channels, would end up in the same channel in the session?

I guess it is simplier when you see someone do it and explain it in the moment... or when you are not as paranoid with questions as I am... jeje!

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Using preamp and Mbox.

S/PDIF is a stereo or two channel connection. So a two channel Mic pre only needs one RCA type S/PDIF connection to get both inputs into the computer. So any two channel Mic Pre with S/PDIF connections will work perfectly for you. You must buy a Coaxial digital cable, which looks like RCA to RCA audio cables, but are specifically made for digital audio. Then once hooked up you will have to go into your Hardware Preferences and choose to clock using an external source, and choose S/PDIF. Otherwise you will have random pops and clicks because the clocks aren't sync'd. Don't stop looking for units. While the ART box might be well priced and the first on that you have heard about, there are plenty of other on the market.

So yes both mics channels through S/PDIF will show up in Pro Tools and you can use them independently as two separate inputs even though they are both going through one Coaxial S/PDIF cable.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:19 AM

Your reply sparked some questions of my own. I am planning on going this route to expand my mbox2pro to 6 inputs and I know it will work. I had planned on using the word clock to sync the mbox to the preamp. Is it better to do this or just allow it to sync via s/pdif? Thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 AM

either will work fine. Usually word clock is used to connect more than two pieces to the same clock source. But it will equally connect just two sources together.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:50 PM

But I can sync with only one cable through s/pdif and avoid having to buy a bnc cable right.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM

correct!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks alot, any recommendations on a good s/pdif cable brand or model?