Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 05-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Which version of Pro Tools did you use for this test? You used a Mac right? How long was your recording? What bit depth, sample rate, and buffer size did you use? What did Pro Tools show for the "System Delay" (in "Session Setup")

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
Hi Amack,

I only used Logic Pro for the test, I generally use Pro Tools for all my record/mixing. :)

In regards to real world scenario I did the following last night:

45 tracks, lots of heavy plugins (H-Reverb, SSLChannel, RVerb, iZotope oZone 6 Advanced. Created 2 x stereo and 7 x mono Audio, but input, fed output from drum tracks to busses, armed and hit record/play. At 64 samples there was no perceivable latency in the drum tracks being recorded against the tracks playing and being recorded, not a stutter or crackle either. This was not possible previously for me, so it's definitely a marked improvement. :)

Cheers.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Which version of Pro Tools did you use for this test? You used a Mac right? How long was your recording? What bit depth, sample rate, and buffer size did you use? What did Pro Tools show for the "System Delay" (in "Session Setup")
Hi Amack, I used Pro Tools 12 Native, Yes I am on Mac. The recording was 2:30. Bit depth was 48k 24bit, sample size 64. Buffer is irrelevant as it's a Thunderbolt device and therefore buffer settings don't exist (because it locks to the Mac on a system level). Not sure about the System Delay, did not check, but I can check that tonight and get back to you.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks! Isn't sample size the same as buffer size (in samples)?

Quote:
Hi Amack, I used Pro Tools 12 Native, Yes I am on Mac. The recording was 2:30. Bit depth was 48k 24bit, sample size 64. Buffer is irrelevant as it's a Thunderbolt device and therefore buffer settings don't exist (because it locks to the Mac on a system level). Not sure about the System Delay, did not check, but I can check that tonight and get back to you.

Cheers!
Old 05-19-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Buffer is irrelevant as it's a Thunderbolt device and therefore buffer settings don't exist (because it locks to the Mac on a system level)

Huh? Want to explain that in English?

There better be hardware buffers involved in getting a slow audio signal into a fast computer system. Thunderbolt is not magic, it looks like remote PCIe lanes, and the most optimized audio interfaces look internally like PCIe interfaces, complete with DACs and ADCs and PCIe glue, and yes hardware buffers.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Huh? Want to explain that in English?

There better be hardware buffers involved in getting a slow audio signal into a fast computer system. Thunderbolt is not magic, it looks like remote PCIe lanes, and the most optimized audio interfaces look internally like PCIe interfaces, complete with DACs and ADCs and PCIe glue, and yes hardware buffers.
Fair enough, can you tell me where I am supposed to find buffer size in PT12? I'd be happy to tell you.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM

Setup > Playback Engine
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Setup > Playback Engine
I will screenshot various settings for you guys tonight. :)
Old 05-20-2015, 10:28 PM

Just keep in mind that hooking up the 16A with thunderbolt or USB doesn't actually utilize the AVB protocol. It's only when you hook up multiple AVB devices and an AVB switch, and even then it's only AVB between the devices and switch. You're only using AVB throughout if you're connecting your computer to the AVB network (or a single AVB interface) via ethernet.

Right now, the 16A connected via thunderbolt will transfer data over the PCIe bus, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Just keep in mind that hooking up the 16A with thunderbolt or USB doesn't actually utilize the AVB protocol. It's only when you hook up multiple AVB devices and an AVB switch, and even then it's only AVB between the devices and switch. You're only using AVB throughout if you're connecting your computer to the AVB network (or a single AVB interface) via ethernet.

Right now, the 16A connected via thunderbolt will transfer data over the PCIe bus, if I'm not mistaken.
That is correct. I have used both methods, thunderbolt is definitely faster in any of the tests that I have done thus why I use it primarily with this device as I find I can set the latency lower with TB than AVB.

In terms of useability, I think either will work just as well for the average Joe. I will still provide some screenshots tonight around the other questions that have been asked. :)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:42 AM

Okay link below for photos showing details of session. Hope it answers everyones questions. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3o63d2xuz...KZ5gaWona?dl=0

Cheers!