Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Default How do u make it sound like separate acoustic rhythm performance from each speaker? W

Not talking about duplicating tracks only...
Old 01-16-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Re: How do u make it sound like separate acoustic rhythm performance from each speake

Record 2 passes and pan them left and right. Anything else is cheating, and not likely to sound like what you want. This is called "double-tracking" or "stacking" and is a staple in pop music recording(and has been since the Beatles and maybe before them).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2015, 06:42 PM

Default Re: How do u make it sound like separate acoustic rhythm performance from each speake

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Record 2 passes and pan them left and right. Anything else is cheating, and not likely to sound like what you want. This is called "double-tracking" or "stacking" and is a staple in pop music recording(and has been since the Beatles and maybe before them).
... (and has been since the Beatles and maybe before them).

Not personally claiming either way, but I've heard a lot of folks credit Neil Sedaka as being the first "big seller" to do it, back in his Brill Building days...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-16-2015, 09:08 PM

cough, cough; les paul

(courtesy of bing crosby…)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 PM

Plugin Alliance - BX Stereomaker ..., does a great job of making a mono acoustic guitar track sound fresh and wide .

http://youtu.be/kSrXof8keTc
Old 01-17-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
cough, cough; les paul

(courtesy of bing crosby…)
Indeed How much do we owe that man

Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Indeed How much do we owe that man
Not to go sideways but his original prototype for the LP guitar is going on auction soon if it hasn't happened already. From what I understand a reserve price hasn't been set.

Back on topic: Waves REEL ADT might help here.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not to go sideways but his original prototype for the LP guitar is going on auction soon if it hasn't happened already. From what I understand a reserve price hasn't been set.

Back on topic: Waves REEL ADT might help here.
I'm already sideways As for ADT, indeed, that might help, as will several other "cheats". But to my ears, doing it the "old-fashioned" way is still the best(and use those cheats plenty myself)

Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 AM

There's certainly lots of techniques to give stereo width to mono instrument tracks, but nothing beats the real deal of double tracking two performances, in my opinion. It's also such a time save, rather than having to tool about trying different production techniques to get the spread you want, just double track two great performances are you are done.

Happy tracking!