Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 AM

Default Re: New Avid Protools Control for IPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
'... a brand new iPad app that wirelessly controls Pro Tools 12 and other EUCON apps—and it’s free! If you don’t have a control surface the free ‘mixer’ view is a great way to experience multi-touch hands on control of your mixes ...'

The second use of 'free' could also suggest that the mixer view has no cost - may turn out that the app is free but other features could be in-app purchases ... or subscriptions ... aarrgghh! :)
Again, I think that's paranoia The sentence reads that its a free way to get a control surface to mix on if you don't already have one.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-12-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Again, I think that's paranoia The sentence reads that its a free way to get a control surface to mix on if you don't already have one.
Probably Guy ... also just smiled at a thread on Gearslutz where they are joking that we may have to 'pay per touch' or to unlock more than two channels :)
Old 04-12-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Probably Guy ... also just smiled at a thread on Gearslutz where they are joking that we may have to 'pay per touch' or to unlock more than two channels :)
Ha!

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Somebody said fader banking will be in the next 11 update as well as in 12 so I suspect this will also work with 11 as well as third party software.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Good, sick of this vcontrol thing not working
Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 AM

There is no need to have hardware for Eucon, we live in a world of emulations, the only question is latency.

From a business perspective, I sure hope it would be free to 12 users..for a couple of reasons - other companies that have created are successful subscriptions (Adobe / Microsoft) are already constantly adding new content because they learned that it is software as a service. If they don't - people will jump ship and you can't bump the subscription price when you add new features.

Secondly their competition Apple and Motu, already provide free iPad control apps for Logic and Digital Performer. Just another example how Avid is quickly learning that they live in a software world, and it they were too busy to notice what was happening around them.

They should have read their tech history books and saw what happened when IBM tried to control a broad consumer market with a "hardware first" strategy. Lots of parallels.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
'... a brand new iPad app that wirelessly controls Pro Tools 12 and other EUCON apps—and it’s free! If you don’t have a control surface the free ‘mixer’ view is a great way to experience multi-touch hands on control of your mixes ...'

The second use of 'free' could also suggest that the mixer view has no cost - may turn out that the app is free but other features could be in-app purchases ... or subscriptions ... aarrgghh! :)

Well if Avid do that it would be another nail in the coffin for Pro Tools with me. $199 Logic Pro X has a great free iPad control app, no subscription or in app purchase ********. It is about time that Avid actually showed EUCON really works, is stable, supported and usable by a wide number of users.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
From a business perspective, I sure hope it would be free to 12 users..for a couple of reasons - other companies that have created are successful subscriptions (Adobe / Microsoft) are already constantly adding new content because they learned that it is software as a service. If they don't - people will jump ship and you can't bump the subscription price when you add new features.
One of the SaaS downsides, in this case with monthly subscriptions available for a small premium over yearly (and so much cheaper for a user new to Pro Tools), is that the product is easily left behind if you're dissatisfied with what you get in return for your $.

Before, there was a perceived value to the initial buy-in to get a Pro Tools licence, so a discounted upgrade feel like good value as you'd already paid the 'joining fee'. Users who let their perpetual licences lapse would have a hard time buying in again at the full e.g. $899 price (although this may just be a lever being used now - Avid could come up with offers from time-to-time e.g. if sales are low).

I hope this app is genuinely free and ideally, available to all Pro Tools versions with Eucon support - if 'free' is just marketing and it actually costs (like Smurf coins in an iPhone game!), it will be clear that Avid just want to 'monetise' every interaction with their products, an approach that could rule these tools out for almost everyone ... excluding those who consider ROI and prepare a business case for sticking with Avid.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
If you haven't already seen the South Park episode on "freemium" mobile games, check it out.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:07 AM

avid, fix some bugs instead of wasting time on these "icing on the cake" products.