Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Is registration on 2 iloks posible ?

My anti-loss device is a bright colored ribbon tied to my iLok2. And I made up a nice little label that goes in the label slot with my cell phone number and email address and offering a "Return reward".

ZDT is a nice service for folks who cannot afford the downtime.

Darryl
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
My anti-loss device is a bright colored ribbon tied to my iLok2. And I made up a nice little label that goes in the label slot with my cell phone number and email address and offering a "Return reward".

ZDT is a nice service for folks who cannot afford the downtime.

Darryl
+1

I have 2 iloks with PT assets on each.

Maybe this is just the mechanical engineer in me coming out But I got a couple of USB extension cables, about a meter long and attached the appropriate end for the Ilok to an Altoids box. I weighted the box with a little bit of lead, then "potted" my Ilok inside with some foam and plugged it into the extension cable.

The weights give it some heft so I know I have it with me. The box gives it some definite added dimension so it is easy to see.

When I record mobile, I have a foamed case that things like that go into for travel. It is easy to see if something is not there when a space is empty. Like drawing the outline of your tools on a wall when you hang them up. If there is an empty spot you see it right away.

OK OK I know I probably had too much time on my hands at some point, but I did it to alleviate a panic attack that I had gone through earlier when I thought I had lost it. (It wound up being on a lanyard that I had attached it to and was around my neck ) We all do dumb stuff sometimes right?

I too have one spare empty Ilok and ZDT for both of my locks as well as a rider on my insurance, which is really really cheap considering......

Now I am NOT proposing that Pace make their Iloks bigger or heavier....If I did not move mine around, I would never worry about it.

However when I do take my Iloks out of their home made case I still use a USB extension to plug them in if I have to plug them into the front of a machine. I had broken the case of my first Ilock by running into it while it was plugged in, and the extension keeps is safe from that. BTW I glued the pieces of that broken Ilok back together and straightened the connector and board and I still use it.

Just my $ .02

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Or perhaps you should put your iLok in a safer place...? What's simple is that it's not Avid's responsibility to make sure you take care of your iLok. I've had one iLok for 5 years that I took to countless shows, moved between home and studios... I have another one with which I do the same for about 2 years now. I've never felt the need to have a backup iLok immediately at hand.
I guess you have been lucky?

I am always worried about single points of failure. iLok is one, which means (post PT8) that you have to buy two licenses if you want to make sure the show can go on. I loved the backup license which eliminated iLok as SPOF.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
Do you have a backup computer with you?
Yes, at all times.

Quote:
How about a backup interface?
Yes, I have three and can lose one.

Quote:
A backup board/preamps?
Yes, I have 50 channels of preamps and usually can live with less than 32. And I can live without control surface as well, in case that breaks.

Quote:
Backup microphones?
Naturally, I have more than enough. And those are easy to replace wherever I go, and I can live with less than optimal mic as long as the show can go on.

Quote:
A backup singer?
Not my fault if the show does not start due to artist feeling sick ;P

Quote:
Breaking an iLok is the least likely scenario. It can happen, but it is unusual.
It is also unusual for planes to crash, but it still happens every now and then. And as for iLok as single point of failure, it will be a showstopper if it breaks and you don't have a backup.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM

You bring all that stuff, and you are complaining about buying another $50 piece of hardware and a $600 license?

Better yet, since you are willing to go with "less than optimal" backups, consider tracking in something that does not require an iLok. There's very little need to track in Pro Tools. Logic is $199. Reason 6.5 is $600 and has a key and cloud authentication. Or buy a hard-disk recorder.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
consider tracking in something that does not require an iLok.
No can do. I also mix the show FOH, thus require PT for it. Nothing else comes even close. But okay, end of discussion, I still think that PT9/PT10 license is a single point of failure, because it resides on a plastic USB key.

And no, it's not 600 bucks for HD license...
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
And no, it's not 600 bucks for HD license...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-Digides...ht_1376wt_1397

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515