Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: MIDI Timing in LE 7.3.1 is BUGGNUTZ!!

Quote:

To clarify my basic setup..

MacPro 2.66
PT 7.3.1 LE
002r
Yamaha O2R (via ADAT lightpipe) for monitoring Sample rate is 48k.
MIDI I/O is strickly the 002r with one keyboard as a controller.

P.S. I should add to that my playback/hardware prefs:

Playback Buffer: 512
Processors: 4
DAE is: 2 (default)

Clocking: Internally

Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM

hmm I get the idea that we're describing very different issues now.

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about:
http://www.aquillar.com/Browse/click...y%20sample.mp3

It's a click track using all default Pro Tools settings recording into an audio track, and now presented to you. The system was doing nothing else but recording, under no stress or load. The same thing on my old Athlon 2200+ works flawlessly.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 PM

Aguillar, I believe you are correct; your issue is completely different. Have you applied the Microsoft Dual Core hotfix (as I mentioned earlier in this thread)? Maybe you should open a new thread so as not to get the two issues confused.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-25-2007, 02:35 PM

From what I understood, the dual core hotfix only applied to the AMD cpus.

Another discovery I made: MIDI works perfectly fine in a 24-bit 48kHz session (opposed to the 16-bit 44.1kHz sessions I was testing in before)
Old 03-25-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
From what I understood, the dual core hotfix only applied to the AMD cpus.
That is not correct. The Microsoft dual-core hotfix is for any dual core.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Avid

Lord Rockmountain - what happens if you lower the buffer size to 128 or 256, does the timing get any better?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Dell Latitude D620 (Intel Core Duo)

I posted in another thread that I was able to roughly record a couple of loops to audio tracks by changing the RTAS processors setting (under Setup -> Playback Engine) to 1 Processor. The MIDI was slightly more stable, approximately 1 loop out of 15 sounded consistent enough. This didn't work the next time I tried it, so I guess it's really a matter of luck.
Thanks for this thread. I'm seeing the exact same problem on my Dell 620. I've imported eight tracks of audio and there's no problem there. Midi and the click track are the only ones with problems.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:40 PM

The Microsoft dual-core hotfix resolved my problem on the dell d620. Not happy that I had to apply but it works now.

MS link
Old 03-27-2007, 06:30 AM

I admit, I'm having MIDI timing problems on a very basic level.

The singer I'm recording hates the standard click sound so I found a nicer clave sample in Xpand and input a MIDI note - on an instrument track with the pencil tool - on each crotchet (1/4 note). I then looped this region to the end of the session.

It just sounds inconsistent. She was trying to record the guitar and telling me that the click sounds 'off' - randomly inconsistent just enough to be noticeable. This is as basic as it gets and very frustrating when the whole point of the click track is to achieve accuracy.

I've also noticed that when I record MIDI info from my MIDI keyboard (Novation ReMOTE SL via USB) it's fine for recording but on playback the timing is off. On zooming in I discover that the notes are actually printed AHEAD of the bar, before I physically played it! I have to select everything and try and manually align the MIDI - a real PITA to say the least.

I haven't tested it extensively so I can't provide more detailed information about the problems (this is all on my PC by the way, specs below) but seeing as I'm having unrelated issues elsewhere I'm trashing my prefs and databases on a daily basis - all general troubleshooting tips applied regularly.

There you go.

Sonny
Old 03-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks Sonny,
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's on a very BASIC level of midi timing. Imagine having a full session load of midi tracks playing back inconsistently!!!?? Something is going on here.

As far as what you described as midi notes happening BEFORE the beat.... well that could just be your playin' mate! Ha! Just kiddin'.. I would try "quantizing" your performance to the "grid" first, then see if it still sounds funny. If you want to keep the "original" performance untouched, just duplicate the track and quantize that. I'm sure you already know this... just a suggestion.

But, this would prove my point about the midi timing coming from protools to an "external" device. Do you have any "global offset" on the incoming midi. This could explain why the midi is arriving early or late depending on how it's set. It's in the preferences menu.

Thanx for the info

Cheers!