Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Default Monitor (parallel master track) Like MixBuss

I was checking out Mixbuss and in the end, I am staying with PT12 for now.

However, there was a very useful feature that I am sure can be done here but I hope someone can help me understand how.

Instead of having just your main master (and subs/busses), there is the ability in MB to place another track to the right of the master and the routing follows that the master remains the master for rendering but for audio out, it feeds the monitor track and the monitor track feeds audio outs.

The advantage is that my interface master levels can be up, allowing for my outboard gear to function well, and I can use the monitor track in MB or PT to attenuate the listening level.

Has anyone done this? I realize that to some, it will seem redundant and the response might be (turn your box down). I do have a reason for not doing so.
thanks
Rob
Old 09-09-2015, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Monitor (parallel master track) Like MixBuss

I did this all the time with TDM systems which require real-time bounce. When doing a live gig, I would route my mix to audio track first (recording my mix) and then feed that audio track to my master outputs. Therefore, whatever I do on the master fader has absolutely zero effect on the WAV file I'm recording to the master mix track.

Is this something you have in mind?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 AM

standard operating procedure here for the last 15 years.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:17 AM

JFreak,
you're right in that I too will be doing real time and that certainly is an easy way. I understand that process very well and can be my fallback. I also hear people talking about doing this to avoid bounce math.

Drew,
How do you do it?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2Smith View Post
Drew,
How do you do it?
Control click assignment from my internal mix buss to a track. Basically double assign the output of the mix buss to the monitor out and a "print track".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Control click assignment from my internal mix buss to a track. Basically double assign the output of the mix buss to the monitor out and a "print track".
+1.
And I almost always remember to rename the print track before printing so I don't have to rename the printed file later.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sorry to be dense. Can you be a bit more plain? I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Sat down at the workstation tonight and got Freak's way of doing this working. The only hiccup was the lag in remembering to turn on the monitoring choice on the print track.

This definitely works but for some reason, maybe my live sound experience, the Harrison MixBuss way of printing from the master buss and having my monitors controlled by a monitor track is what I hope to achieve. Thanks to anyone who can help me nail this and forgive my newbishness. I left PT in V7 and just returned.

I'm not trying to resurrect a "dead, badly beaten horse" but I can't help wonder about the difference between audio recorded by a track and audio real time bounced on the master. Perhaps in this day, it is a non issue. (shoot me)

Thanks guys,
rob
Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Ok try this:

1. Select all your tracks, hold down option and on the output assignment button choose "Send to new track..."

2. In the dialog box choose to send it all to a new Stereo Aux channel, and name it "Mix".

3. This should have created a new Aux return also called "Mix", this is your mix master fader and here is where you put any master processing such as compression or limiting.

4. Now on your "Mix" channel, click on the output button and again choose "Send to new track...." (this time have ONLY the Mix channel selected, no other channels). Send the output of the Mix channel to a new Stereo master fader or Aux Channel and call it "Monitor"

5. Now you should have a new Monitor channel with a fader which you can use to control monitor level.

6. Again choose the output of the "Mix" master fader and once again choose "Send to new track...". This time in the dialog choose a Stereo Audio Track and call it "Print". This will send the mix to your print channel pre Monitor fader.

7. Now, all you need to do is once again go to the "Mix" fader's out put and hold down the modifier key (Command or Control, I can't recall which) to choose additional outputs - once you have done this you can again choose the "Monitor" bus. So in essence your "Mix" channel needs to feed both the Monitor path and the Print path, with the Monitor path having a fader on it.

8. On your "Print" audio track, assign the output path to "Monitor" and mute the track.

9. When you are ready to print, record arm the "Print" track and record away (with the Print track still muted).

10. To hear back your printed track, unmute the "Print" track and solo it (otherwise you will hear the live mix PLUS the print track).

Hope this helps!

:)

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 09-11-2015, 03:50 PM

Brilliant. Thank you Stereo Missile and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
Ok try this:

1. Select all your tracks, hold down option and on the output assignment button choose "Send to new track..."

2. In the dialog box choose to send it all to a new Stereo Aux channel, and name it "Mix".

3. This should have created a new Aux return also called "Mix", this is your mix master fader and here is where you put any master processing such as compression or limiting.

4. Now on your "Mix" channel, click on the output button and again choose "Send to new track...." (this time have ONLY the Mix channel selected, no other channels). Send the output of the Mix channel to a new Stereo master fader or Aux Channel and call it "Monitor"

5. Now you should have a new Monitor channel with a fader which you can use to control monitor level.

6. Again choose the output of the "Mix" master fader and once again choose "Send to new track...". This time in the dialog choose a Stereo Audio Track and call it "Print". This will send the mix to your print channel pre Monitor fader.

7. Now, all you need to do is once again go to the "Mix" fader's out put and hold down the modifier key (Command or Control, I can't recall which) to choose additional outputs - once you have done this you can again choose the "Monitor" bus. So in essence your "Mix" channel needs to feed both the Monitor path and the Print path, with the Monitor path having a fader on it.

8. On your "Print" audio track, assign the output path to "Monitor" and mute the track.

9. When you are ready to print, record arm the "Print" track and record away (with the Print track still muted).

10. To hear back your printed track, unmute the "Print" track and solo it (otherwise you will hear the live mix PLUS the print track).

Hope this helps!

:)