Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2002, 05:35 PM

Default Freedom of speech

One of my posts was deleted by digi. I was ranting about how Apple is a bunch of price fixing jerks. I mentioned how all the pros use macs for video, audio etc and even though I have been a avid PC guy I made the switch to Mac for my studio.

Let's face it. If Apple made macs more affordable EVERYONE would have one. The new imac came out and it was a huge succes. You couldn't find one for a few weeks. So what did Apple do?? Jacked the price up!! I mean the idea of the price of a computer going UP over time is crazy!!

If Apple realized that the richest man in the world got that way by making computer products for the masses, they maybe they would price their products for the masses and GUESS WHAT.? Software developers would write programs for us that were FUN and not cost $500.

Anyone else Edited my big brother??

Respond to this Digi and tell me why you deleted my post. Afraid Apple or Amy might object?? You should have my E-mail so write me privately. Delete me again and I will look into my options.

Old Timer [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Freedom of speech

Do your research and you'll see why macs are priced so high off the shelf. And if you think microsoft is free of price fixing/gouging and somehow not associated to the high prices of software, you're more in the dark than the people who think J-Lo is a good singer.

There was also a recent study done in Australia that showed that the overall cost of a PC including software licenses and maintenance is actually higher than a mac over the life of the machine (macs also have a longer life span).

I can't answer as to why you were deleted, but they don't do that often around here, so you must have broken one of the rules. You're not going to make many friends here on this board with your attitude, so maybe try a constructive approach next time and you'll probably make some friends and learn something new along the way.

Sorry you're so aggrivated, hope you can manage to calm down a bit.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:10 PM

Thanks Slim.

I know I'll be screaming for help sometime soon so I'll keep your post in mind.

Try and understand I would love to see Apple rule the home computer market. I just wonder why they do what they do, that's all.

Love my Mac, make fun of PC's all day.

But I paid the price, I own one of their boxes, so I should be able to criticize they, pretty boxes and clunky mouses on the PTLE for MAC forum right?? I mean PC are bashed all day right??

Old Timer [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 06:12 PM

The iMac's price was increased because the cost of LCD displays went up.

The wierd thing is, for a hundred or so more than apple charge for the 15" LCD monitor you could buy 2 15" LCD from sony or NEC that not only have a faster pixel response time but give you option of chosing either a VGA or DVI model.

Apple do overcharge for their hardware but not by much if you work out what a typical PC would cost with the same connectivity and potential expansion options.

if you assume 2 slots are taken up as future expansion for the Airport and internal modem and then add firewire, gigabit ethernet, a basic soundcard for compatability on the same level as the mac's built in audio and then add the cost of window ME and window XP (the equivelent of OS 9 and OS X), you'll have a PC with far fewer expansion slots that a G4 tower and save a few hundred at the expense of having a computer that simply works.

The other side to argument is that if the powermacs were more modular you could leave off a lot of the standard features that are PCI card addons on the PC just to save on cost. Obviously this would then make those 4 PCI slots more like the 1 or 2 you'd have left on a PC once you match the specs exactly to what a mac has.

As far as apple's pricing goes, I think the G4s are far more powerful and far more affordable than the old 8600 and 9600 powermacs were but some people are never satisfied and want a high quality mac for the price of a low quality PC.

just as an example, my beige G3 cost me £1,200, I've spent another £300 on a extra RAM, a modem and a CD writer and all I've got is a mac with a slow graphics chip with 6Mb of VRAM, 192Mb of RAM and a few external peripherals.

A G4 would cost me £1,350 , Come with a CD writer, 40Gb 7200rpm HD, 256Mb Ram and a built in modem.

When you look at it on a year by year basis, macs are gaining more and more standard features, the prices are remaining the same and the number of expansion options in addition to the built-in connectivity are easily ahead of a PC.

I can understand why digi deleted you're post if it was just basically slagging apple off rather than just constructive critisism.

I can see you're point, I just can't see it to such an extreme that I can't see the other side to the argument aswell.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:29 PM

Thanks John H

But riddle me this Batman(joke, everyones sooo sensitive)

Why is Apple so small in marketshare?? Wasn't it because they originally wouldn't let developers mess with their code or something? Hence a more stable OS but if your a mac guy now you must be wierd or something (so people think).

Old Timer feeling better now [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Why is Apple so small in marketshare?? Wasn't it because they originally wouldn't let developers mess with their code or something?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The way I understand it was the they wouldn't license thier OS out to other hardware developers, thus making only Apple machines capable of running Mac OS. While this cost them market share, what it did was produce a very dependable computer, because the company makes both the hardware and the software. Therefore, you don't have to worry about 'product-x's' compatibility with your motherboard/OS/etc. like you do in the windows world, and you reduce or eliminate people making very cheap components to run your OS and selling cruddy machines to the public (see compaq etc.)

So, what they lose in market share, they make up for in reputation. In my opinion, I'm glad Apple doesn't rule the market, and I love being part of the minority. Apple is currently still making a profit even with their small percentage of the market (S.Jobs loves to compare apple to BMW...small market share, but dedicated users and respected product). Apple has definitely seen it's hard times, and somehow they're still around. This is far from their worst period, and I think they still have a faithful following among those that love them.

There are several good articles on the history of apple and critiques/analysis of their marketing and licensing strategies on the internet. If you're really interested in why they "do what they do" you should read up a bit - some of it may surprise you.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:23 PM

Thanks slim!!

I finally know what's bugging me and it was in the amazing disappearing post. By the way I'm really honored that digi singled out my post. I guess disrespecting Apple is a no-no.

What buggs me is when I was trying to find the best price on a mac two months ago you could buy a G4 800 Powermac for $1599 from Apple or goto the "Macsuperstore" or what ever and get one for the incredible low low price of $1595!!!

Now if this were a car that would be the MSRP. So what's the invoice?? And if I sell Macs am I allowed to sell it for less, do more volume and ultimatly make more profit? OR, as I suspect, do I have to sign an agreement that says I will not sell them at a low price or I won't get anymore Macs shipped (and therefore be out of business)??
If so is that legal?
Am I completely off base here??
My last post on this subject. I will thank and respond only.
I had to get this off my chest. Thanks for your indulgence.

Old Timer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 09:42 PM

Yes, you guessed it. If you are an authorized Apple reseller, you agree to let Apple to audit your Apple related sales and it's perfectly legal. At least that's how they handle it here in México... I'm friends with the Apple distributor here and he told me that they give them a MSRP, and based on that, they price the machine. If Apple finds out, by way of an audit, that you are selling their stuff cheaper than what they tell you, you get a warning. After three warnings, they take away your authorization as an Apple reseller.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:45 PM

Just as an FYI... the introductory G4 Mac desktop IS 1399 after the rebate from apple pus you get a free printer and RAM when purchased through mac mall or mac wherehouse. doesnt sound too gouged to me.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slim Shady:The way I understand it was the they wouldn't license thier OS out to other hardware developers, thus making only Apple machines capable of running Mac OS. While this cost them market share, what it did was produce a very dependable computer, because the company makes both the hardware and the software.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Another thought:

Apple sells hardware and an OS. Microsoft sells just an OS. As open source OS's that run on Pentiums become more viable in the market, Apple will retain its OS market share as Microsoft loses its. Of course, Microsoft sells more than just an OS, and still would not go out of business in this scenario.

For further reading in this vein, I recommend Neal Stephenson's book "In The Beginning Was the Command Line." It's a quick read that outlines some basic operating system history.

Leigh