Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Default unable to record

hi guys / gals a slight problem im hoping you will have the answer to

im runinng PT M POWERED 7.3 I am using an instrument track with a plug in, i can hear what im playing levels are good etc.........however after arming the track and then pressing record on the transport window followed by pressing play .............it doesnt record ???????

after i hit play on the transport window its highlighted in blue and then the stop button highlights in blue, but then the play button returns to been grey quickly followed by th stop button ??????????

has anyone any ideas what im doing wrong ???? or do you know of some glitch that is preventing recording from happening ?????
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 PM

Default Re: unable to record

I've had this happen before too. Increase the h/w buffer size in the playback engine, (under setup) to 2048, and exit. Then completely reboot. This may or may not work. But it's worth a try.

Also, if you are running real time virus protection, try turning your internet connection off and then pausing the real time protection. Turn it all back on when you're done with PT.

If this doesn't work, you may need to look into how many programs are trying to run in the background besides ProTools. You should minimize your background programs so that you have 98-99% CPU idle. It's very important to have your PC optimized for running one main program: Pro Tools.
Golden Age Project Pre-73 JR
Warm Audio WA12 MKII Preamp
Glyph 1TB GPT50 external drive - Firewire
LaCie 1TB external drive - USB
JBL LSR305 monitors

AT 2020 & 2021
Equation F.20 condenser mic
Old 02-06-2011, 12:58 PM

did the above but it still is the same ............arggggggghhhhhh!!!!!

before i opened up a session i followed the advice to maximise windows for PT and i dont run anything else while this is runnin

the stuff that you told me to do did it work for you ?????

so again caliing all users get your thinking caps on and giv me a holla if u know
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Did you go to

Right click on my computer
Click on Manage
On right column, double click on services and applications
Click services

Maximize window. BTW if you're in XP, you can at least get this far. I have no idea how to configure in Windows 7.

This is a list of computer programs that could run automatically in the background. Any program with a "Started" on it could possibly be unuseful to you and would save CPU running.

A computer repairman would come in handy, to tell him you don't want programs started that aren't important while running Pro Tools. Many programs need to be stopped, but don't turn off the wrong ones, like some of the system programs. I had to get a guy who knew computers to do this for me.

Actually, what it might be, I didn't think of this at first:
Are you using USB or Firewire for your storage? Or are you recording onto C drive? It needs to be Firewire to a external source. USB recording and recording to C drive are unstable ways of recording. Very.
Golden Age Project Pre-73 JR
Warm Audio WA12 MKII Preamp
Glyph 1TB GPT50 external drive - Firewire
LaCie 1TB external drive - USB
JBL LSR305 monitors

AT 2020 & 2021
Equation F.20 condenser mic
Old 02-07-2011, 05:19 AM

i thought it was this initially as yes i am running with an external usb hard drive and id read it was not recommmended it does fit the minimum requirements if it is USB

i have checked out what you told me to look at whats running in the background and admittedly not sure what everything does but i just followed all the steps from the site to do to windows xp to maximise my computer for running PT.....So im persuming everything that needed to be turned off is turned off but i will check it all out again just to make sure

ill try anything at this stage to get it up and running
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM

just to add ( not sure if it even helps) i imported audio into a separate track and then just took a section in that audio to record over it ( just to see if i could get it to record) and i could arm the track and press record and then play in the transport window ......??????

and yet i cant get the play button to highlight blue after i armed track and then pressed play in transport when i dont import ???????
Old 02-15-2011, 01:12 PM

just in case anyone out there decides to help me im using .....

packard bell 1gb memory 2.4ghz p4 using windows xp runnin an usb external h drive

i usin a PT m powered 7.3.1 and for the life of me i cant understand why i cant record ( as stated in my 1st post)

so accept the challenge if you are good enough