Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
As the number of voices on systems without Avid hardware are computer dependent we should in theory have as many voices as the computer can handle right? Or is there limitations outside Avids programming which makes our voice count tied to a specific number?

Thanks for any clarification on this.
This was also my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
If you're asking if there is some technical reason why the voices are capped, I think the answer is no. It's an artificial constraint on Avid's part.
This is what I was thinking as well. It is good to see there are other new features being reported. The thing that is bothering some is the not the issue of how many voices but the petty direction it seems that Avid is going in yet again but over all there still seems to be a glimpse of hope.

Last edited by zion; 01-26-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
It's capped for stability.
No it isn't. Pro Tools regular is capped at 128, Ultimate (currently) at 256. No difference whatsoever technically, its an artificial cap for sales purposes.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-26-2019, 01:00 PM

Just thought I'd post an opinion in favour of this direction for PT Ultimate, in terms of voices.

Clearly, Avid is not running a charity. I understand that they have to run their business in a way that works (although I know they've been extremely sloppy in that regard over the last 6 or 7 years...).

I'm an HDX user - for tracking. In general, I can't WAIT to switch my playback engine over and (in my case) switch to the Ravenna/AES67 CoreAudio driver, and mix entirely in the Native environment. For me, the three main reasons are:

1. Sound Quality. In my room here, it's as plain as day that the Native mix engine sounds much more clear, more depth / reverb tails, and the image is stronger in every way. Sure, the HDX/DSP mix engine has a bit more in-yer-face factor, but sounds hazy to me, and once you switch a mix over to Native, it's REALLY hard to go back...

2. No voice penalty with Native inserts - So basically, anything from Waves, Soundtoys, Massey, OEKSound, etc., etc... REALLY adds up when you're doing 5.1...

3. Stability. Just poke around here, and compare notes with anyone running HDX in a mix situation, and I guarantee they're getting more -917X, etc., errors than those running purely Native.

For a lot of the higher-end stuff I do, I'm working at 192kHz. That means I hit the wall at 64 voices in Ultimate / Native. Yes, I still have an HDX card inside my machine, and in the case of many of these projects, I need at least HDX2, and sometimes HDX3 - which means I rent / borrow cards, or I have to drop $$$ on an obsolete piece of DSP from 8-9 years ago.

The hilarious thing is that if you do an offline 'Bounce-To-Disk..." of a large 192kHz mix that's using HDX3, the entire mix environment is flipped over to the Intel CPU (including 'Heat' which doesn't exist in Native-land) - which is clearly exceeding the 'capped' limit if the playback engine was running Native.

I would gladly buy / rent voice packs so I can continue to mix in Native-world and ignore the HDX card inside my machine. It's clearly going to cost MUCH less than buying an HDX-DSP dongle, right?

In a perfect world, I wish I could run my mix engine Natively, and use the HDX card along-side only for I/O and for real-time tracking. THEN, we'd have something!

Anyhow, I'll be one of the people that are slapping down their credit card for voice / I/O packs... Flame away.

Cheers, eh?

Last edited by Mixchump; 01-26-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 01-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
I/O packs...
Is this happening? I'm not currently maxing voices, but I'd buy an I/O pack or 2 for sure.

I generally agree with your post too. It's perfectly reasonable for companies to have various tiers and addons to their products.

Every 'LE' version is just a crippled version of the full version, this has been the case since the beginning of computers.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:34 PM

Still no Mojave compatibility in 2019
Old 01-26-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkalman View Post
Still no Mojave compatibility in 2019

Yes 2019 will be compatible with Mojave, check this video from the NAMM booth: https://www.pscp.tv/w/bxzK3jYyNzYzMX...ctD2Wvog6qBu0=

Very curious how soon ‘soon’ is, can’t wait

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
(including 'Heat' which doesn't exist in Native-land)
Yes it does. You need PT Ultimate and HEAT licenses, it works whether you have Avid HDN or 3rd party interface
Old 01-26-2019, 01:55 PM

If I could make one request Avid..... although it's not a biggy coz they're pretty easy too create...... rewrite Clickii.aaxplugin or allow some form of click track preset creation from a library of user created midi files.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 01-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes it does. You need PT Ultimate and HEAT licenses, it works whether you have Avid HDN or 3rd party interface
Ayup. Using Heat myself on Ultimate with both my Red 8 Pre on HD Native, and my Clarett 4Pre.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
The hilarious thing is that if you do an offline 'Bounce-To-Disk..." of a large 192kHz mix that's using HDX3, the entire mix environment is flipped over to the Intel CPU (including 'Heat' which doesn't exist in Native-land) - which is clearly exceeding the 'capped' limit if the playback engine was running Native.
All offline bounce-to-disk is run on the native processor no matter what size. One of the requirements for why all AAX-DSP must have an AAX version.

[JFreak has already addressed you being wrong about HEAT which has a native version]

I suggest you do a sum using native Core Audio and a sum using the HDX mixer of a multiple of tracks (with no plugins) and see if they null.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3