Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Default PT10 & RX Denoiser reacting weird?

Has anyone else noticed that RX2 (denoiser in particular) is acting weird with Pro Tools 10? On PT9, I would reduce around 6-8db roughly with no artifacts. Now, I'll reduce it like 2-3db WITH artifacts consistently on every clip. Even a light 3-4 reduction sounds like a 20+ db reduction. All of us here at the studio noticed this immediately after upgrading.

My suspicion is that clip gain is throwing a wrench in how RX processes regio.. err.. clips? It may only be happening when I boost the level via clip gain first.

Anyone from Digi/iZotope or beta testers have any insight into this? I'm sure RX will have an update at some point to address this?

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook

Last edited by Dallas Taylor; 10-27-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM

Default Re: PT10 & RX Denoiser reacting weird?

I too noticed this while editing yesterday. At first I thought it was due to a new mic that my foley guys had started using but it turns out the problem is tied to the new handle length selection. If you make sure "Whole File" is not selected and disable the handle length (i.e. set it to 0) before you "learn" the noise floor you will be set. It seems like the plug-in is using your selection plus adding the alloted handle length to calculate the noise floor. Obviously this is a bug and the plug just needs to be updated. Luckily the fix is rather easy.

Hope this works for you.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 AM

Yep, I noticed this as well. 3-4 db in reduction as opposed to 12 to 14 db in previous versions. I'll try the suggested remedy outlined above, but switching the whole file and handle length options every time I want to use RX seems tedious.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Taylor View Post
Anyone from Digi/iZotope or beta testers have any insight into this? I'm sure RX will have an update at some point to address this?

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're looking into it at the moment and it appears that handle length can easily throw off denoiser training.

Here are two things you can do to make it so this doesn't happen:
a) as has already been mentioned, set handles length to 0 when learning a noise profile, or set the default handles length to 0 and adjust to taste for non-RX AudioSuite processes.
b) consolidate the region that you're training RX 2 Denoiser on by making a clip edit, consolidate (ctrl-shift-3), drag to a new track, then hit 'learn' on the audiosuite UI. If you're doing a lot of denoising with a lot of different noise profiles in Pro Tools, it might be useful to keep around a "cutting" track for this purpose.

You have to drag it to a new track because if you don't you'll still get a piece of whatever audio is around it (even if you've consolidated the clip). It looks like there's a selector for how handles feed us audio -- "clip by clip" or "entire selection" -- but "clip by clip" still retains the handle length and feeds us digital black (so you still end up with an invalid noise profile, albiet one that's quieter instead of incorporating material you wanted to preserve), so you'd have to reset your handle length to 0 anyway.

It looks like this issue also somewhat impacts Spectral Repair. This is recorded in our bug database and we'll see if we can get a fix that's better than a workaround out to you guys at some point in the not-too-distant future. I'll make our support staff aware of this issue as well. They'll be the best contact for when we'll be able to provide a public pre-release fix to this issue, and then release a qualified patch. The best way to reach support is e-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by izotope-qa; 10-28-2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: forgot support e-mail address. they were so sad.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Oh, hey, another idea: you can use the RTAS plug-in to train profiles, then save a plug-in setting or an RX 2 preset (XML and universal between our standalone application and the plug-ins). This will give you some more control about what information gets streamed to RX 2 Denoiser to build a noise profile, and that gets saved with presets/plug-in settings that you can easily recall in the AudioSuite version.

Just another workaround. Obviously no workaround is 100% ideal when functionality should just work, but hopefully these will keep you guys working until this issue gets hashed out.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM

..and that's why I love iZotope.

DALLAS TAYLOR CAS/MPSE
/// Sound Designer/Mixer @ Defacto \\\ Twitter Facebook
Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 AM

Look at that..... a company support team that's actually LISTENING to it's users, taking a problem seriously, and even suggesting a temporary solution until it's resolved.

So rare these days, and that's why I buy iZotope software
Old 02-02-2012, 12:16 AM
The Cargo Cult

kudos.
justin