Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-1999, 01:49 AM

Default Error code 52 or 57

I get Error Code 52 or 57 when trying to write to an 80-minute CDR on our CDR-100: any ideas what these codes mean? Thanks!

------------------
---
Robin Springall
Repeat Performance, London
Old 10-07-1999, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Error code 52 or 57

I'll try to find out what those codes mean, but keep in mind that 80 minute media is probably not recommended. Do you have problems when you use standard 74 minute media?

-- Marc
Old 10-07-1999, 04:05 PM

Well then we might guess that those codes indicate the drive does not like the media, but if I find out otherwise I'll post the results. I've contacted Yamaha, but it's sometimes difficult to get info on older drives.

Personally, I would advise against exceeding 74 minutes to minimize risk of problems in duplication or playback.

-- Marc
Old 10-08-1999, 12:04 AM

Thanks! CDR-74s are fine. I'm just preparing for when someone wants to make a longer one .
Old 10-08-1999, 11:59 AM

I'll see if I can get a TDK 80 and report back.

Restricting CDs to 74 mins isn't really an option; can you imaging my having to tell someone like Cleo Lane? "I'm sorry Cleo, you'll have to lose two tracks from the album because our equipment's gone moody." She'd hit the roof!

Back in a day or so...

Old 10-11-1999, 11:38 AM

I realize that customers can be demanding, but I think it's a good idea to let them know that 74 minute CD's are the standard and anything else is taking a chance. The customer is not going to pleased if you produce an 80 minute CD and it gets rejected by the duplication house or you make thousands of copies only to find out it doesn't play properly on some percentage of CD players.

Even if you can get 80 minute media to work, you'll probably encounter other problems -- for instance, I can tell you that MLCD 2.2 will not allow you to burn a session that is longer than 74:03 in length. Even if you get around this (by going to an earlier version or other software), it is not clear that your burner will accept that much data or that the equipment in the duplication house will accept the disc. There are a lot of intermediate steps between your audio and the listener's CD player and if any of them assumes a 74 minute session, you're hosed.

You can still go for it if you're willing to take the risk and work through all the issues and I'll try to help as best as I can.

-- Marc