Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2017, 08:12 AM

Default Current Mac Line-up: School an idiot

Hey all!

My 2009 MBP is finally causing me enough lost working time in getting PT and various sessions to run (even on a clean install) that I've accepted it's probably too damn old. Searches of the current state of mac haven't untangled this for me, so I need some schooling.

I can't afford to drop cash on a second hand mac outright, but some adjustments to my outgoings and I can start finance on a new one with no change to my outgoing costs overall. Looking at iMacs and MBPs (the laptop desktop debate needs solving still, the upsides of a mobile rig against extra power and upgradability basically).

Anyone using the 2017 models with success? Any pitfalls to watch out for? I've got installers for 10.8-10.10 so I can install one of them for stability if they'll work on a newbie. i5 vs i7 still an issue? If I need serious horsepower there's an HD rig on a cheese grater rig at the studio, so I just need something that can handle mix changes and ITB stuff without bogging down or hanging for a billion years when I start a session.

Thanks all!

- Jack
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Current Mac Line-up: School an idiot

First thing to know would be that any new Mac you purchase will come with High Sierra, unless you find one with Sierra. Whichever, you won't be able to install any older version of OS X below the one that is installed on a new Mac. And no version of Pro Tools is qualified for High Sierra, although many are running PT on it. Some are having GUI issues - look in the PT 12 Forum.

What version of Pro Tools are you using now? If it's PT 10 any upgrade would be to PT 12 and that requires plug-ins updated to AAX64 versions.

I'm sure others will have more for you.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-31-2017, 02:25 PM

Ah, figured I could install to an earlier OS with bootable drives, guessing the hardware is locked to HS? I'm on 11.3.1 currently. Mostly 64bit aax, though I can adapt stuff that won't come with me, most of my must have tools are current plugins.

If I can find them refurbed, how current can I get and still install an older OS?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksbyrne View Post
If I can find them refurbed, how current can I get and still install an older OS?
http://everymac.com
Old 11-01-2017, 09:20 AM

Cheers all,

Looks like I'll be stuck with HS on a new Mac, which will mess with a buuuunch of stuff and need PT upgrading from 11. Joy! I'll keep researching, that Everymac link seems handy.

Anyone running 11.3.1 successfully on later OS versions than Yosemite?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Current Mac Line-up: School an idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
First thing to know would be that any new Mac you purchase will come with High Sierra, unless you find one with Sierra. Whichever, you won't be able to install any older version of OS X below the one that is installed on a new Mac.

That is totally incorrect.

Yes it will come with High Sierra, but if the machine was originally produced when an older OS was available/current, then it can be downgraded to that version.

I've seen this posted a few times on this forum and it's 100% wrong.

To clear up confusion - you can downgrade any Mac to the OS it shipped with when it was originally released. Remember that some Macs haven't had a refresh in multiple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 11-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:37 AM

Cheers Sardi, good to know. This opens up my options if I can keep an eye on the returb store, maybe catch a pre-2017 mac