Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Mastering - Trying to make it sound louder

Hello I'm having problems getting my mixes to sound louder. I listen to reference cd's, and even though the dB level of theirs is like 2 dB lower than mine, their mix sounds louder. I meanwhile am just under clipping.

I'm using TC Master X, which works great, trying to play with my mids, highs, is there a frequency range I should focus on? Or is there a special plug in or rack these professionals use? Perhaps adding more compression? But the TC Master X does utilize compression. Any help would definitely be appreciated; I'll try to post my mix vs. theirs later. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Mastering - Trying to make it sound louder

There is No way to Know exactly what you want untill you pay your dues, and Experiment with different settings, AND burn 100's of CD's to Hear what they sound like in your car, blaster...etc.

You will find the formula that works for you, IF you can afford basic plugins, like Waves Platinum etc...

Exactly What are you talking about ???

You said that theirs Sounded louder? But yours IS louder already?

This might mean that their recordings sound Clearer or more defined than yours?

Say exactly what you are asking... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 07-29-2003, 03:24 PM

O.k. how do you make mixes clearer and more defined. I think that's what makes these mixes sound louder. No **** , guitates, it takes 100's of cd's- that's what I'm getting to, just looking for advice on the way.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:27 PM

Considering the audio quality of most major-label releases these days, I'm not sure if trying to compete with them level-wise is a good thing. I'm pretty sure that it isn't.

If you're looking to get a clearer or more defined mix, maybe it needs to be addressed in the mixing stage rather than the mastering stage. You can only do so much to a song that's not quite mixed right.

Unfortunately, there's no one special plugin or piece of gear that the professionals use to make things sound better...good ears and engineering skills have much more to do with it.

-Duardo
Old 07-29-2003, 06:52 PM

TY Duardo for the positive feedback. Granted I know much of the work comes in the levels, eq, and compression of tracks within the mix, but, let me re-phrase my question...There must be some tool that experienced engineers use that they swear by; that really brightens up a mix in the mastering stage. I know the TC electronics master X does wonders for me, but still I can't get it to sound like my reference cd's, - really it just sounds louder. What are the major's doing??
Old 07-29-2003, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Somebody:
There must be some tool that experienced engineers use that they swear by; that really brightens up a mix in the mastering stage. I know the TC electronics master X does wonders for me, but still I can't get it to sound like my reference cd's, - really it just sounds louder. What are the major's doing??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When you find out what that secret piece of gear is please come back and share with all of us. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Donny:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Somebody:
There must be some tool that experienced engineers use that they swear by; that really brightens up a mix in the mastering stage. I know the TC electronics master X does wonders for me, but still I can't get it to sound like my reference cd's, - really it just sounds louder. What are the major's doing??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When you find out what that secret piece of gear is please come back and share with all of us. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, please do!!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 AM

I don't find it difficult to make mixes LOUD. Just L1 them until they're distorted and sound as bad as most of the new pop records coming out. The much more difficult thing is to make them sound as GOOD as the pop and rock records of the '80's and early '90's -- before mastering trends led to a sacrafice in audio quality. That takes skill!

Glenn
Old 07-30-2003, 09:07 AM

you need to use multiband compression. Those records are able to get as loud as they can while keeping punch because they dont compress the entire two mix. They compress certain things.....usually the bottom and top ends...letting the mid range stay in tact.

Experiment with multi band compression. There is most definately no one piece of gear that will make you mastering engineer....good ears...and experience as the others have implied.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:14 AM

OK...There is a secret piece of gear that the 'Mastering Lab' uses, and there are only 5 like it in the World, according to them.

It is a Modified compressor/limiter + some Pixie dust thrown in, similar to the Bombfactory plugs, but this is an analog outboard piece--Made and designed by George Massenburg's brother, 30 years ago.

They still use it, and my CD sounds amazing, but I spent 1 year burning CD's with more or less of 100's of different possibilities with Great plugins like the L2, and the LinearMulti5band, and the Ren Plugs etc...etc...

Some****--Do You know that if You read carefully, and do not get upset, you can pick up important suggestions from people going out of their way to help you. OK...Peace...

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr