Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post

1. How much will the update be if you're not on the support plan?

Avid has made it clear there will be no way to purchase future upgrades outside of being on this subscription/support plan.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:44 AM

At least Avid should promise that users taking up this early offer will be guaranteed the next major upgrade, regardless of when it arrives.

With 'Everywhere' and track freeze not actually available yet and most users not getting any value from the included support (if you do, you probably pay for this already), it could be that Avid need some revenue in the short term ... so may suggest that PT12 (assuming they normally get a sales spike with major releases) is still some way off.

I'm sure Avid have long-planned to move in this direction (especially considering the pricing of competitors e.g. Logic) but it just looks like they want users, many of whom are still waiting to fully reap the benefits of PT11, to pre-pay for the next version based on technology previews.

Personally, I'd much prefer to see some of the arbitrarily held-back HD features trickle down to 'vanilla' - in my case disk cache but probably also about time new surround users (when the CPTK route closes) were not forced to buy HD with hardware too.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid has made it clear there will be no way to purchase future upgrades outside of being on this subscription/support plan.
... but they've not yet been clear on whether users can buy a support plan (to get the latest upgrade) at any time, including if they've never had a support plan or let one lapse.

I agree with a previous poster that whilst Avid have issued FAQs, they should learn from previous PR debacles on DUC and quickly clarify the questions that are being frequently asked by some of their most dedicated users. We know that Tony and Bruce are monitoring this thread so not answering this leaves doubt and suspicion ... but I suspect/hope they'll be back soon :)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Hold your horses, gentlemen. Avid has their hands full with AES right now. I'm sure they willbclarify things once the dust settles down...
Old 10-11-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
As I read it, and we'll all agree this is as clear as mud, won't the cost of future whole number upgrades be considered part of the annual upgrade fee (like the cost of PT12)? Or will we have to pay on top of the annual support/subscription plan?

This sounds a lot like the Komplete Kare debacle NI did years back.

QAPLA!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 AM

It is either oldskool or yearly fee, cannot be both
Old 10-11-2014, 10:25 AM

I have cptk running on version 10 with Mbox Pro. I know I'm going to have to upgrade now but can someone clarify the hardware I can use. On the Avid store it says 11HD only with hdx/native. Does this mean you can't use any third party interfaces or the Mbox Pro with 11HD?
Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalker View Post
I have cptk running on version 10 with Mbox Pro. I know I'm going to have to upgrade now but can someone clarify the hardware I can use. On the Avid store it says 11HD only with hdx/native. Does this mean you can't use any third party interfaces or the Mbox Pro with 11HD?

This has already been addressed, but no it clearly does not mean that, you can keep using ASIO and CoreAudio compatible interfaces.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I guess the word "Rhetorical" is new to you?

But to elaborate, in a way which actually requires answers :

Yes, they've stated that upgrades wont be available outside of a support plan (but CS updates etc will continue to be free), but previously you had to be on the current version of the software, in order to qualify for the Standard Support plan.

Moving forward, if you're not signed up to the support plan - then what? (complete repurchase of the full software? Pay $199 to get back on the wagon? Pay $199 x however many years you are behind on the plan, up to the price of a complete repurchase, or to the beginning of 2015 - which ever is cheapest?).
Old 10-11-2014, 11:05 AM

This is very confused, and hares are in danger of running, but Avid's communications this time are even more opaque than we've experienced previously. I'm astonished that Avid continues to fail to appreciate how unclear information causes massive ripples of discontent and is very damaging to its reputation.

The questions that are already starting to accumulate on this thread need clarifying quickly.

But, of course, those of us who are also Avid Media Composer owners have experience of similar confusion.

Check out this page ...

http://apps.avid.com/campaigns/2014/...eYourEpic.html

and scroll down to the 'The Choice Is Yours' section.

The subscription option is clear and simple, click on the buy now button ... there's options for rolling monthly and annual subscriptions (with the monthly equivalent price shown for comparision purposes).

Importantly, there is also a cross grade subscription price, with a lower monthly fee, for people who already own an existing licence ... so existing customers get a discount.

Why is this apparently not an option for Pro Tools? Maybe it will be, and its just that the initial communication fom Avid is poorly worded. Avid ... let's have some clarity on this please. Quickly.

Remember things in the CPTK disaster, where one memorable hare set running was that the upgrade to HD would only be for CPTK2 owners, not CPTK1? That turned out just to be poor wording, or did Avid do a quick tweak to the eligibility criteria when they realised what the reaction was becoming?

But also, look at the next bit of 'The Choice Is Yours', after the bit on subscriptions.

This demonstrates Avid's capacity for confused wording across in Media Composer land as well, so at least those of us in PT land are not alone.

On the left side it says ....

Prefer to own a traditional software license?

You still can. This option includes a non-expiring, perpetual license and one year of renewable access to Avid support and the latest features and enhancements.

On the right side it says ...

Already own Media Composer?

Don’t let your current perpetual license expire. Act before the end of 2014 and upgrade an existing Media Composer license for only $299. Includes one year of renewable access to Avid support and the latest features and enhancements.

Spot the problem?

The left side indicates you can buy a non-expiring perpetual licence of the new version, while the right side indicates that your current perpetual licence (of a previous version) will expire ... if you don't upgrade before the end of 2014.

If you click on buy now and then follow the link part way down the page to get to the pdf on Media Composer Licensing Options .... then scroll to the very bottom of the pdf, things start to become more clear ... especially when you get to the very last sentence of note 3 ... which I've copied below for ease of reference ....

Get one year of standard Avid Support, which includes software upgrades/updates, when you buy Media Composer (perpetual license). After one year, you can renew your Avid Support plan annually for just $299 to continue receiving updates/upgrades and support. If you decide not to renew your plan, you can still continue using Media Composer (you own it) at the last version update received. However, should you decide to upgrade your software later on, you will need to purchase a new perpetual license ($1,299) again, or you can choose to start a subscription.

So, assuming Avid adopts the same approach with Pro Tools the options will be ...
1) Upgrade by a specified date to have your existing ownership taken into account, or
2) Upgrade after a specified date and be treated like a new customer, you can continue to use your older version if you want, but it will no longer open the door to a discounted new version (either subscription or perpetual licence).

The subtlety is simple, we'll have a non-expiring perpetual licence for a specific version (as now), but will be limited into upgrading within a defined timeline after the new subscription model goes live if we want existing ownership to get us some credit.

What's the difference ... well up to now we've been able to upgrade any time after a new version comes out, it just gets more expensive if we leave it until after yet another new version comes out. PT9 to 10 is the same as PT10 to 11, but PT9 to 11 is more expensive, because you've missed paying for a version (and missed using it too).

But now, Avid is saying that if you don't upgrade/subscribe within a defined time after product release, you existing perpetual licence will no longer get you upgrade pricing rates. You have to buy/subscribe as a new purchase, and your old version still works, but is forever stuck at that version.

Why is Avid doing this? Well it's obvious ... too many people, studios and post houses have stayed with PT10, and that is disastrous for Avid ... this new model is smply a way of getting people to upgrade promptly after new versions are released.

Of course, in the case of Pro Tools Everywhere, it appears Avid is also trying to encourage/coerce us into paying for the next upgrade version before we even know what features and bugs will be in it! Or when it will come out? Or what efforts they will/won' make to iron out remaining showstoppers in PT10 and 11.

Happy days are here again .... not!
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Closed Thread