Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2003, 03:31 PM

Default benefits of more RAM?

hey, right now i have 512 MB of RAM and im wondering what all of the benefits of going up to a Gig would be. please respond.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:42 AM

Default Re: benefits of more RAM?

you will get (almost) twice as many rtas plug ins per session as you do currently.

plus general system oerformance wll improve.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:41 AM

Ummmm..not exactly.

To my knowledge, RTAS plug-in counts are dependent on CPU usage, not available RAM.

However, more RAM will increase system performance speed, and allow you to run more apps at the same time. You will have more memory to allocate to things like PT, DAE, any software based samplers or synths, and other apps that you are likely to run at the same time as PT (like Kontakt or Reason).

I was operating with 256mb RAM for the longest, and I recently upgraded to 1.25Gb. I immediately noticed better overall system performance and I was able to run the Kontakt sampler with PT no problem (this was impossible before). I now suggest to anyone to load up on as much RAM as possible...it can only help, and it's incredibly cheap these days...I purchased two 512mb sticks from Mac Wharehouse for under $100 bucks!

Good luck,
Old 01-20-2003, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CrucialRecordings:
hey, right now i have 512 MB of RAM and im wondering what all of the benefits of going up to a Gig would be. please respond.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In terms of plugin count - zero.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:03 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Are you guys sure..?
I always thought that the number of plugs you could have open at one time was dependent on RAM, and the processing ability of those plugs was dependent on CPU speed... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 PM

Back in the days of my audio media 3 card and UMAX S900 I started out with 96 megs of RAM. I could load a few plugins in ProTools, and that's it. I upgraded to 256 and was able to load a turd load of plugins. I'm not sure how much it affects systems that already have a bunch of RAM, but on systems with under 200 MB, it will make a big difference.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundboy69:
Are you guys sure..?
I always thought that the number of plugs you could have open at one time was dependent on RAM, and the processing ability of those plugs was dependent on CPU speed... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exactly soundboy...it doesn't matter how many plugs you can open if you don't have enough CPU to run them! So yes, they will occupy RAM just the same as opening other apps, but you still must have enough CPU to handle the real time processing when you push "play"...and RAM does nothing to give you more CPU power.

Having said that, I still think you should get as much RAM as possible...it can only help.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:17 AM

Ram is cheap, fill it up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 01-21-2003, 08:18 AM

Hey Burner, glad to hear you got Kontakt running with the extra RAM.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:28 AM

Yeah...it was a bit of a pain to configure it...the manual they give you w/ Kontakt is pretty lame...it doesn't really tell you how to properly set it up with PT.

Of course, I'm still working out issues related to latency, and there is MUCH I will have to learn to really be able to do what I want to do (which is build a big drum library by mapping samples and creating instruments from them). Kontakt itself doesn't come with all that many more drum sounds than my JV-1010 (but the percussion sounds are awesome), which I'm rediscovering lately and digging it, too!

Thanks for all your help though...are you running Kontakt? do you like it?

so...anyone want to buy Kontakt? LOL

laterz