Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Default No 5.1 channel output option

I am working in Pro Tools 10 HD and want to work in surround sound. I was under the impression that there should be surround sound options when setting the I/O settings, but I only have mono and stereo. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there settings elsewhere in Pro Tools I need to change? Do I have to acquire some kind of plug-in? I know there are plug-ins for advanced surround sound editing but shouldn't I already be able to at least create a 5.1 channel path?

It is definitely picking up the speakers (via 8x8 Mbox interface), because I can still assign the left, right, or mono to any of the speakers.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Default Re: No 5.1 channel output option

I would suggest to try to create a New Session and upon doing that select 5.1... before the session is created... then you can create a Master fader and select 5.1.... It should also show up in your I/O settings unless its not seeing multiple output ability and then will limit you to stereo and mono options.

If not go into you Playback Engine make sure it is selected on HD TDM and then go into your I/O and hit DEFAULT... this should reset the I/O to be 1-1 with your hardware and give you the option for 5.1 (or other surround formats).

*** Ah sorry... in the Playback Engine you should make sure your choosing the MBox not TDM as you arent using a true HD rig, just HD software with an MBox interface.. My Mbox 2 will only allow stereo or Mono so I wonder if its hardware related... What MBox are you using?

Last edited by jasonthurley; 06-29-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Correcting myself
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Default Re: No 5.1 channel output option

If you're using an MBox you are not using PT 10 HD, you are using PT 10. If you are only using a two-channel Mbox you can still emulate surround mixing using a 5.1 bus but you then have to use a downmixer (Avid supplied one with PT10, Neyrinck supplied one with PT9/CPTK) so that you can listen through the two-channel non-HD hardware. With a larger MBox you should be able to create 5.1 output and bus paths in the IO setup so that you can work in actual surround.