Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-26-2004, 07:08 PM

Default DigiCS - v6.4.1cs2 Possibility?

Digidesign,

Thanks for v6.4.1cs1. Now I feel that I can move all of my systems to it with confidence.

There are three (3) nagging bugs that I would like to see fixed for a v6.4.1cs2, and I suppose you would include them in what I'll call a theoretical v6.4cs10 release, since HD users must be plagued by these bugs as well. They are:

•If you do not have an interface output assigned to a track in the track's output section, and you use the "-" key to toggle between waveform view and volume automation view, the tracks without an assigned hardware output will not toggle views correctly.
•When using MachineControl with transport=Machine and Machine Follows Edit/Insertion and you cue the Machine in reverse, a selection appears in the timeline. This is documented in the Answerbase as 27175, 8110, and 25329.
•When using MachineControl with a non-linear deck, such as a Doremi V1(m), Stop at Shuttle Speed Zero magically turns on. The consequences of this are that the Doremi V1(m) will cease to function correctly until you go to Setups-->Preferences-->MachineControl and disable Stop at Shuttle Speed Zero.

I don't think you'll get complaints from anyone if you fix these bugs. Please give this some consideration. I would hope the code changes to fix these would not be too drastic so we could all benefit from an effort to squash these bugs before the next major release.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: DigiCS - v6.4.1cs1 Possibility?

Bounce to top.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:37 PM

The following text is from this thread, and is being pasted here as it is relevant to v6.4.1:

Thanks for the 6.4.1 update.

However, please forgive me, but I assumed the cursor down arrow bug which had been identified in sessions with a Session Start: 00:00:00:00 would be fixed in this release? This was in a fairly recent bug thread and I think it was Danny from DD who identified the Session Start parameter triggering the bug.

Just to recap, the down arrow returns the left marker to the start of the session when playback is stopped and not the current position as it should.

I sure hope that this long standing bug gets fixed in a further release for my Mix system because it has caused me no end of grief with editing tracks.

--------------------
Mix Plus
TDM 6.2.3
PowerMac QS 867 MHz
OS 10.3.4
1 Gb SDRAM
80 Gb (system) 160 Gb (audio) 7200 drives
882 I/O

PowerBook 1.25 GHz + Digi 002r

It also seems to some that the v6.4cs8 fixes are not in v6.4.1, as discussed in this thread.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:01 PM

I think the possibility of a 6.4.1cs1 are remote and that as long as you want to keep using a MIX system you will have to live with what you have.

This hardware is very old (although I plan on using it for a while longer still) and i dont' expect digidesign to spend any time at all on it beyond what they just did.

I wish a lot of things had been fixed, but they're not, and if anyone wants to post odds I'll gladly consider a wager.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:18 AM

Well I am going back to 6.2.3, which has been very solid for me. I ended up getting disk too slow errors on my newly initialized internal audio drive, went back to 6.2.3 and the errors went away. Also found the inconsistently blinking rec enable lights quite annoying. Plug-in organization was nice, though.
Running Quicksilver single processor 800MHz with Mix core and DSP Farm II with an ADAT bridge, OS 10.3.4.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 AM

Bounce to top. I see DigiTechSupt and DC chiming in on other threads, which is great...but how about this one?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Bounce to top. I see DigiTechSupt and DC chiming in on other threads, which is great...but how about this one?
Well, ok....<g>

We only just released 6.4.1. It's important that we wait a bit to see if there are patterns in customer feedback in order to determine what few bugs we can address. Although I appreciate the fact that you want all those bugs fixed that you reported, we have to be careful to pick and choose what bugs end up in a "cs" version. CS versions are not fully tested in the same manner as standard releases (read the disclaimer/warning in the cs download "read me's"). We can't devote the resources to give each cs version a full "regression" without having a serious impact on testing for other releases.

CS releases are in response to urgent customer complaints. If there's an annoying bug which has been in Pro Tools for a number of years, but has had few complaints, chances are there won't be a cs fix for it (I'm sorry to say that the "-" key toggle probably falls into that category).

With that said, we can't just fix any bugs we choose. Checking in an "invasive" fix could easily break something else - and with the limited testing, we probably would not find out the error until we heard it from a customer.

NOW - that being said (again), Pro Tools 6.4.1 has slightly different criteria for what makes it into a cs release - because it is the last MIX release ever. But bug fixes for 6.4.1 still have to be non-invasive, and not too plentiful - the more fixes go in, the more chances there are for breaking something in the process.

I don't know when the first cs release for 6.4.1 will happen, but I'd say it's a good bet that there will be one.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 08-30-2004, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I don't know when the first cs release for 6.4.1 will happen, but I'd say it's a good bet that there will be one.
Thank you for the response DC! I'm going to maintain hope that MachineControl bug fixes and the v6.4cs7 fixes (DT 2) make it into cs1. That would truly be swell.

Jim - care to place a wager still?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:24 AM

So aside from the little things I am hearing about the system for the most part is stable? I did a clean install 10.3.5 and have no other 3rd party stuff or plugs even for that matter and the thing is crashing my whole computer. I have to pull the plug just to restart the crash is so severe. I have a mirrored drive door dual 1Ghz. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
james
Old 09-02-2004, 10:19 PM

Default 10.3.5 has not been approved by Digi

elementsoun

If you look near the top of the BBS you will see a post by Digi stating that 10.3.5 has not been approved by Digi. I would do another clean install of 10.3.4.

Here's the link for the post

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#678818