Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-07-2012, 01:29 PM

Default A new recorders question about 24 vs 32 bit float.

Im still new to recording, so i want to do things right. I set up all my music in 48k, because my current guitar processor, the axe fx 2, will only allow the digital audio through its spdif output to travel at 48k and sync with the pro tools clock. The question is though, until i downloaded the pro tools 10 trial, i always recorded at 48k 24 bit. Now that i downloaded pro tools 10, it gives me an option for 32 bit float. What exactly does 32 bit float mean,. and should i record in it vs 24 bit?

Also, i have seen the box that says "interleaved" when i set up a session. Do i want to check that box when i record?

Sorry if im asking noob questions, i did read the pro tools help box but it didnt really explain to me what i should do between the bit types.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Re: A new recorders question about 24 vs 32 bit float.

32 bit float will give you more headroom for your internal bussing in pro tools, which means that your signal can be hotter before it peaks, very useful when your gain chain isn't balanced.

Stereo interleaved simply places all the channels information into one file, instead of two files when you had split-mono (two mono files one left one right). It's useful when you're doing some surround mix too as all the channels would be available from that interleaved file.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
32 bit float will give you more headroom for your internal bussing in pro tools, which means that your signal can be hotter before it peaks, very useful when your gain chain isn't balanced.

Stereo interleaved simply places all the channels information into one file, instead of two files when you had split-mono (two mono files one left one right). It's useful when you're doing some surround mix too as all the channels would be available from that interleaved file.
So is it okay to start recording at 32 bit float interleaved, or would you recommend something else?
Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
So is it okay to start recording at 32 bit float interleaved, or would you recommend something else?
If space isn't a concern, go ahead You won't lose anything but space, but you gain a few things. It won't make your clip sound better because the out put of your AD might only be 24 bit, but you will have more ease down the line if you don't keep track of your signal strength.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
If space isn't a concern, go ahead You won't lose anything but space, but you gain a few things. It won't make your clip sound better because the out put of your AD might only be 24 bit, but you will have more ease down the line if you don't keep track of your signal strength.
Yeah space isnt a concern for me, i have a large external hard drive. But thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate your help.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Yeah space isnt a concern for me, i have a large external hard drive. But thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate your help.
It's a pleasure. Have fun recording, it's the best gig there is

Wave-T.com