Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 AM

Default Artist Line - Pro gear or Toy?

I bought a MC Mix, then a Transport and now a MC Control with a second MC Mix waiting to be shipped - so I would say I'm fairly commited to the platform.

The Application awareness makes me use the MC Transport ALL THE TIME for everything. The possibility to build your mixer step by step is superb. When you toggle between different platforms like Pro Tools (my main DAW), Logic, Reason - it's the Hammer... The concept is great thinking - what about the downsides then...

Stability leaves a lot to be asked for (but these are childhood deceases that need to be ironed out).
1) When your computer goes into restmode - you have to reboot your system and then have to shut down EuCon control panels individually one by one (Pro Tools, Safari, Mail etc...)
2) Lights go off on the Transport but goes on again if you shut down the MC Mix.
3) There doesn't seem to be a way to get the units to put the tracks in a certain order, unless you fire up the units in a certain sequence order
4) If you have other units like the Digi 002 in you setup it should be possible to determine for you first track on the Artist Line to be Track 8 every time you start up your sessions.

Why could it be considered a toy?
1) You cannot turn on your whole setup with one single key command - and the whole purpose of this unit is to send macros and save unnecessary keystrokes...
2) There are no internal contacts when you mount the units together - if you have a setup of four units there should have been only one power supply and one eathernet connection out from the unit not 4 + 4...
3) Caps flying off the faders.
4) Building quality in general smells like China/Kambodya

Why doesn't the faders of the MC Mix have led lights parallel to the faders like on the MC 5?

...yes, and I'm still contemplating buying a third MC Mix - just so you know.

(P.s. ...and perhaps a new celeb video on the Euphonix site every now and then?)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Thumbs up Re: Artist Line - Pro gear or Toy?

I got my first MC Mix a couple of days ago after waiting for the Windows drivers for over two years. First impressions are that it's a rather nice controller. Regarding the faders even expensive digital mixing consoles use ALPS faders that need to be cleaned every year otherwise going haywire. Few consoles are shipped with expensive Penny & Giles faders nowadays.
With the price in mind I think the faders are rather nice on the MC Mix. Maybe I will think differently after using them for a year, but for now they're nice, fast and pretty silent.

I really like the functionality of the MC Mix because all I really need is faders, track names and some knobs. Using the MC Mix to control the Massenburg EQ in Pro Tools works pretty well and I can see myself maneuvering the MC Mix for fast filtering in a mix. Flipping the faders and controlling AUX sends is also brilliant.

I also have a Novation SL Zero MKII for controlling VST-instruments and the Automap protocol is so cool for making custom made controller layouts. The downside with the SL Zero is that it updates the display slowly and it can't be integrated in the same way as a EuCon controller.

If Euphonix/Avid would make a simple addendum to the EuCon control panel the MC MIX would become a very efficient controller. It would be great to be able to configure the layout of plug-in parameters letting the user define the most used plug-ins and how they show up on the MC Mix. I can't imagine that it would be that hard to add (if I have to do it by editing a configuration file, that's fine with me)
If I could just configure my ten most used plug-ins on the MC Mix, it would certainly speed up my workflow and make it more fun and intuitive.

As for the EQ-button and MC Mix showing four filter band I think it's brilliant. It would be great if pushing the knobs would toggle between Frequency and Q-value instead of having to use the buttons. Because that's how it usually works on digital mixing consoles. I find myself resetting the filter band gain to zero each time I accidentally press the knobs.
Also an overall EQ bypass would be nice to have on a button, but maybe it's just I that haven't found it yet.

Any plans for such improvements?

Cheers
Fred

PT HD 9.03 + HD Core card, Nuendo 5, Cubase 6, Wavelab 7, Samplitude 11, W7 64bit, ASUS P5B, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4Gb DDR RAM, UAD-2 QUAD (all plug-ins), RME RayDAT, Lavry DA-10, Mytek Stereo192 ADC, 2xApogee DA16X and Rosetta 800, Quested V3110 three-way speakers, Avantone MixCubes, Euphonix MC MIX, Novation Remote SL61 and Zero SL MkII, lots of funky outboard and analogue synths.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Artist Line - Pro gear or Toy?

Hi there, Freddan!

I need to ask where you bought your gear, since my second MC Mix has been on the waiting list by Luthman for quite some time now...

p.s. Don't forget that storing key commands and macros are the strength of the Transport and Control units.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
I need to ask where you bought your gear, since my second MC Mix has been on the waiting list by Luthman for quite some time now...
I ordered it from Thomann and it arrived four days later. :)

Quote:
p.s. Don't forget that storing key commands and macros are the strength of the Transport and Control units.
True. The MC Transport looks interesting.

Compared to MC Mix, do you think the MC Control is much better for controlling plug-ins?

I bought the MC Mix to get away from watching the screen when I'm mixing and if I get a MC Control I will have to watch a small screen when I'm mixing. But maybe it's worth it.

If I get the chance I will probably get another MC Mix first, cause having more faders are my main wish when I'm mixing.

Cheers
Fred

PT HD 9.03 + HD Core card, Nuendo 5, Cubase 6, Wavelab 7, Samplitude 11, W7 64bit, ASUS P5B, Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, 4Gb DDR RAM, UAD-2 QUAD (all plug-ins), RME RayDAT, Lavry DA-10, Mytek Stereo192 ADC, 2xApogee DA16X and Rosetta 800, Quested V3110 three-way speakers, Avantone MixCubes, Euphonix MC MIX, Novation Remote SL61 and Zero SL MkII, lots of funky outboard and analogue synths.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM

If you want a tactile feel and not looking, then the Transport is the unit to look at. It also sits fine between two Mix units. It speed up my workflow even more in other applications then in Pro Tools.

Control and Mix have done what I expected of them, but Transport was more versatile then I could imagine. (I just bought it cause it was a "rainy day", so I had no expectations what so ever...)
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If you want a tactile feel and not looking, then the Transport is the unit to look at. It also sits fine between two Mix units. It speed up my workflow even more in other applications then in Pro Tools.
Control and Mix have done what I expected of them, but Transport was more versatile then I could imagine. (I just bought it cause it was a "rainy day", so I had no expectations what so ever...)
Nice to hear. I'm putting it on my wish-list.

When I was using an old Logic Control with Cubase I was able to have eight different mixer views and access them with eight different buttons on the control surface. Very handy being able to have drums, vocals/backing vocals, guitars, synths and outputs on different views.

I've just started working with Pro Tools HD 9 and still a fresh user. Is it possible to save mixer setups and recall them with the MC Transport?

Cheers
Fred

Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM

I also have a mix, control, and transport. I have noticed hairline cracks forming between the 1st and 2nd, 4th and 5th, and 7th and 8th faders.. The mix is 4 months old. Just a heads up to watch your mix's for this.. I have found many other users with this same issue. Just a heads up to everyone.

I think the build quality is not that good. I am currently in the process of trying to RMA the mix but kind of getting the run around when they know this is an issue. I may sell all my artist series controllers if they do not make this right.

Duane from AVID is who I'm dealing with if any other users on this forum that have the same issue and I have seen some, please contact me as I would like to get some feedback from you.. Thanks