Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-26-1999, 09:32 PM

Default Powerbook Sound In

Hi -

I'm trying to learn the best way to get a signal into my Powerbook 3400 running Powermix. Here are a couple of things I've learned that may be helpful to others with similar configurations . . . and then I have a couple of questions.

There is an inexpensive ($20) item called the NE Mic Audio Adapter that boosts a mic's level to line level. http//www.griffintechnology.com/mic_main.html

Digigram VX cards are available with more versatility, good specs, and a higher price tag. About $670 from Broadcast Supply 800-426-8434.
http//www.digigram.com/products/vxpocket.html

My questions:
(1) Can I come out of a Mackie board and into the Sound In jack on my Powerbook with a standard miniature 1/8 inch plug? (I know that the mac microphone that is designed for this input is 5mm longer than the standard 1/8 plug. If this longer 1/8 inch plug is required, where can you buy some kind of adaptor? I've been to a few mac dealers who just look at me funny, and Radio Shack guys just laugh.

(2) In my sound control panel (and the monitors and sound control panel), the only choice I have is "built in". Should there also be another choice called "sound in" that I should select when using this jack. I noticed a post that inferred that if the "sound in" choice is missing, it might require a clean install. Does that sound right?

(3) Does anyone have other suggestions on the best way to get a good analog signal into ProTools on a Powerbook 3400?

Thanks to all who post here - what a valuable resource!

Tupelo
Old 10-27-1999, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Powerbook Sound In

if your 1/8 inch input is a standard mac input a normal jack will work correctly. the extended length is for a phantom power curcuit (low voltage) used to power the strange-pattern mac microphone. unfortunatley, due to the mac sound input quality you can't get much better than a grainy cassette sound from this system.