Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-13-2003, 04:32 PM

Default 1622 interface

Does anyone use this (1622) interface with windows NT? I have a D24 card, and a farm card. Each card has a 1622 hanging off of it, for 32 total physical inputs. I am having some strange static, click and hum issues with one of my boxes. It happens to be the 2nd 1622 in one of the studio's. We have 5 studio's set up the same way. All have worked for about 2.5 years with no problems. Now, I find out you can not hang a 1622 from a farm card. Aside from being a little upset at our vendor (former) selling us a system that was not configured properly, I am stuck with an "un-supported" hardware configuration.
so, my question(s) to this group is(are) this:
Has anyone else used this config with sucess?
When did digi proclaim you could not attach a 1622 to a farmcard? (I assume this was from the get-go, but we placed too much trust in our dealer to do some of this research.. now we look like asses).
Anyone that 2 1622's running on Windows NT.. and could spare a few cyber seconds, please shoot me an email stating wether or not it works for you...
Kellylichtenwaldt@clearchannel.com
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM
Old 01-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: 1622 interface

1622 I/O Guide, pg 1:
Quote:
The 1622 I/O is designed for use with Pro Tools MIX and d24 cards. Do not connect it to DSP Farm or Pro Tools III cards.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One reason would be because the 1622 uses an interface and cable that is like a combination of a "Y" cable and 2 regular 8-channel peripheral cables, providing 16 channels of I/O. d24 and MIX cards are capable of interfacing with 16 channels, while DSP farm cards and Pro Tools III cards can only access a single 8-channel interface, and cannot be used with the 1622 I/O.

Your options are to either use a different 8-channel interface on the farm card:
882/20
888/24

or add a MIX Farm card so that you can hook up the second 1622 I/O. Maybe not much consolation, but this would have the added benefit of turning the system into a MIX system, since the presence of the d24 card turns the MIX Farm into a MIX Core.
Downside: this kind of d24/MIX system works with Pro Tools NT, but is not supported with Pro Tools 5.3.1 for Windows XP and 2000. So if you decide to go this route, you may want to look at your hardware exchange options, such as the PT 24 to refurbished MIXplus exchange:
www.digidesign.com/exchange
You can call the Telesales/Presales Department on the 800 number for presales and hardware exchange information.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 1622 interface

Thanks. Apparently our vendor did not "run this by digi to make sure it will be fine" 2.5 years ago. It has been working, but now, I fear the worst. Thanks for the info.... Page one. funny. kinda.
No wonder the vendor is no longer selling digidesign gear...
KL

Quote:
Originally posted by Digidesign:
1622 I/O Guide, pg 1:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The 1622 I/O is designed for use with Pro Tools MIX and d24 cards. Do not connect it to DSP Farm or Pro Tools III cards.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One reason would be because the 1622 uses an interface and cable that is like a combination of a "Y" cable and 2 regular 8-channel peripheral cables, providing 16 channels of I/O. d24 and MIX cards are capable of interfacing with 16 channels, while DSP farm cards and Pro Tools III cards can only access a single 8-channel interface, and cannot be used with the 1622 I/O.

Your options are to either use a different 8-channel interface on the farm card:
882/20
888/24

or add a MIX Farm card so that you can hook up the second 1622 I/O. Maybe not much consolation, but this would have the added benefit of turning the system into a MIX system, since the presence of the d24 card turns the MIX Farm into a MIX Core.
Downside: this kind of d24/MIX system works with Pro Tools NT, but is not supported with Pro Tools 5.3.1 for Windows XP and 2000. So if you decide to go this route, you may want to look at your hardware exchange options, such as the PT 24 to refurbished MIXplus exchange:
www.digidesign.com/exchange
You can call the Telesales/Presales Department on the 800 number for presales and hardware exchange information.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
KUBE FM, KBTB FM, KHHO AM, KJR AM, KFNK FM