How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-23-2018, 06:20 AM

Default Re: MARKER problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Paulhammer, I'm still confused as to how you want to use markers. You are in the Edit Window, right? You have created markers for certain events within the session, like verse 1, verse 2, bridge, solo, etc. Correct?

You've named them, and for each one there is a yellow line that runs downward through all the tracks, right?

So at that point, why do you want to "select" them? Do you want to click on the marker up in the ruler? If that's the case, why have a marker? The point of creating markers is to easily access them while editing or mixing. So you bring the Memory Locations box down into your session in order to quickly place the cursor exactly at the point of a marker. It's not a "work around". Unless I'm really not following how you want to use markers.
the other is "if you have a number keypad" period marker number period jumps directly to that marker .. if no keypad or laptop system, disregard this please ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-23-2018, 06:51 AM

That's right, John. But beyond that I'm not sure how the OP wants to use markers.

I depend especially on markers while in the mix window, where I can't see my cursor. I'll find the location I want in the Memory Locations window or type 'period - number' on the number keypad, as you say.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
That's right, John. But beyond that I'm not sure how the OP wants to use markers.

I depend especially on markers while in the mix window, where I can't see my cursor. I'll find the location I want in the Memory Locations window or type 'period - number' on the number keypad, as you say.
hi Brian, i have been loving the Pro Tools Control APP Memory Locatiions Page !!

just hoping the app get some more love ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM

I have experienced something similar to this. In my experience, what is happening, is that the spot you need to click on is actually a little smaller than the little marker icon in the ruler. I sometimes have to clik on it 2 or 3 times, but it will eventually select the marker.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM

John - Here's a dropbox of a session with just some blank audio tracks and some markers. The problem persists in this session for me. Created in Pro Tools 12.8.3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap5see155z...ammer.ptx?dl=0

And cutler bri - I get what you're saying, but it sounds like we just have different workflows. I work 100% in the edit window and thus have gotten comfortable with everything capable within that (limitations and all). I never use the mix window and didn't even know there was a marker window ; )

As far as maker use - Say I'm developing a song and like a group vocal I've just finished for a chorus. I'll then select from my first chorus to the next chorus marker by shift-clicking on the yellow marker symbols. This allows me to select the chorus perfectly without having to worry about the grid, etc... Again, I completely get that your option makes sense, in fact it sounds a lot more efficient, but the markers exist and are clickable for a reason and I'd love to be able to keep using them the way I've used them for the past 10 years if possible.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:16 PM

@Inglesworth... interesting... perhaps this is what's happening to me too. But, I guess I'm just confused that this was never an issue in PT 8, 9, 10 or 11...
Old 01-23-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhammer84 View Post
John - Here's a dropbox of a session with just some blank audio tracks and some markers. The problem persists in this session for me. Created in Pro Tools 12.8.3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap5see155z...ammer.ptx?dl=0

And cutler bri - I get what you're saying, but it sounds like we just have different workflows. I work 100% in the edit window and thus have gotten comfortable with everything capable within that (limitations and all). I never use the mix window and didn't even know there was a marker window ; )

As far as maker use - Say I'm developing a song and like a group vocal I've just finished for a chorus. I'll then select from my first chorus to the next chorus marker by shift-clicking on the yellow marker symbols. This allows me to select the chorus perfectly without having to worry about the grid, etc... Again, I completely get that your option makes sense, in fact it sounds a lot more efficient, but the markers exist and are clickable for a reason and I'd love to be able to keep using them the way I've used them for the past 10 years if possible.

Thanks!
got your session will give it a test ..

and you can do what you would like in the memory locations window too .. i do that all the time .. "select from my first chorus to the next chorus marker by shift-clicking" same exact result !!! and if i am not mistaken, you can also period - marker#-period and use the Shift technique there as well .. no mouse at all !!! have to check that one though ..

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM

TEST COMPLETE ..

all works as it should here with your session .. sorry man, must be something on your end ..

and yes, you can period - marker# - period using Shift and it works without using the mouse if you have a Number Keypad !!!

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
got your session will give it a test ..

<snip>... and if i am not mistaken, you can also period - marker#-period and use the Shift technique there as well .. no mouse at all !!! have to check that one though ..
Yup, I use that a lot (in 12.4).
Old 01-23-2018, 03:03 PM

Interesting... so john, you were able to click all the markers and the cursor would go there instantly? on every try? What OS are you running? Sierra?