Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Avid Stock Prices down by 10.37% today.
Avid Stock Prices

That's crashing hard. They might get de-listed soon.

Hmm, when are those running the show and making all these stupid decisions gonna get canned?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 AM

I said a few posts ago, Avid is jumping the shark. Just remember this time, the release of a buggy PT11... the alienation of pro users and the heavy-handed issues we're complaining about on this thread.

I'm not complaining because I hate Pro Tools. I love the product. It's just sad to see this company sinking, and that is just what's happening. Moves like this Control 24 thing are going to turn loyal customers into haters, and I've already made my goal for 2014 to spend zero dollars on their product, and I expect scores of people are going to do the same.

And don't look now, but Apple is closing in on the low end consumer market, big-time. Logic and Garage Band are offering way more to the bedroom user for next to nothing than Avid is right now.

So, Avid is losing grip on the video market... losing grip on the consumer (bedroom) user... and now trying to force their pro users into opporessively-priced purchases they don't even need by coding out the functionality of basic hardware.

Gosh, I wonder why the stock is tanking?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM

Another 5% down today.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 AM

So ProTools 11... Buggy video playback (really?!), obsolete TDM cards, obsolete C24 and ProControl, no Powercore (VSS3 still rocking here in ML), and 10 works perfectly. A far better reason than some new meters and offline bounce would need to come along for the sizeable investment in new hardware that would be required to move to 11.

Happy to stay on a ProTools HD10 Control24 system that runs 14 hours a day with 100% reliability until Avid realise the money they could make on sales of hardware and software to all the users like us who don't have a spare £10k for a control surface but would happily spring for PT11HD and probably roll in interface and *maybe* even card updates as well.

Most of our clients still request 7-9 compatible sessions, so whilst I couldn't live without clip gain, apparently a lot of people can, so I don't hold out much hope for them jumping to 11 any time soon.

It's a dark time for the Empire...

Has everyone signed the Ideascale thing? Does it matter? Currently competing with "Red Book CD Authoring" with 357 votes (CDs are the next big thing apparently), whereas Control24/ProControl drivers for PT11 only have 186 votes.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM

I don't think the Ideascale thing will pan out to much, just because so few people are going to know about it. You have to figure only a tiny portion of ####ed off Pro Tools users are actually on this forum, and of those a tiny percent voted.

However, there is a large contingent that will start speaking with their wallets.

The buggy PT11 and HUI-killing efforts by Avid will backfire, financially, imo. I can say with certainty the two companies I am involved with (one large) will not be purchasing upgrades any time soon due to this.

Word is getting out about PT11 in general, and it's not good. Avid decided to play hardball at the wrong time.

This whole thing reminds me a lot of when Napster first came around and people were downloading music. Anyone with a brain knew this was the future, and that the record companies need to work WITH their buying public, not against it. But, what did they do? They took Napster to court, they tried to kill the MP3... they fought against their buying public.

Flash forward 10 years and their business model had been decimated, their sales cut in half and the largest seller of music was the one who wanted to work WITH their customers... Apple.

The record companies were too smart for their own good. They knew it all. They were going to control the public's spending.

Only, they weren't... and they didn't.

Avid has a great chance to learn from history, here. But, they don't seem interested.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky3000 View Post
I don't think the Ideascale thing will pan out to much, just because so few people are going to know about it. You have to figure only a tiny portion of ####ed off Pro Tools users are actually on this forum, and of those a tiny percent voted.

However, there is a large contingent that will start speaking with their wallets.

The buggy PT11 and HUI-killing efforts by Avid will backfire, financially, imo. I can say with certainty the two companies I am involved with (one large) will not be purchasing upgrades any time soon due to this.

Word is getting out about PT11 in general, and it's not good. Avid decided to play hardball at the wrong time.

This whole thing reminds me a lot of when Napster first came around and people were downloading music. Anyone with a brain knew this was the future, and that the record companies need to work WITH their buying public, not against it. But, what did they do? They took Napster to court, they tried to kill the MP3... they fought against their buying public.

Flash forward 10 years and their business model had been decimated, their sales cut in half and the largest seller of music was the one who wanted to work WITH their customers... Apple.

The record companies were too smart for their own good. They knew it all. They were going to control the public's spending.

Only, they weren't... and they didn't.

Avid has a great chance to learn from history, here. But, they don't seem interested.
HUI killing??? I believe your getting a bit dramatic. I remember a release of 6 where HUI did not work. It was fixed very quickly in a . release and there has not been HUI issues since. Please elaborate on how HUI is being killed by working the same it always has.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
HUI killing??? I believe your getting a bit dramatic. I remember a release of 6 where HUI did not work. It was fixed very quickly in a . release and there has not been HUI issues since. Please elaborate on how HUI is being killed by working the same it always has.
I am not sure how anyone could side with AVID on this issue. Without being bogged down with semantics. No offense Guitardom.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM

Guitardom.

I'm not going to play games with you. If you can read, it should be fairly obvious what this thread is about. Our surfaces are NOT "working as they always have."

Then again, nothing in PT11 works as it always has. It's wrought with bugs and problems, or maybe you need to take a browse through the first page of the PT11 software forum.

In any case, you can continue to be deliberately obtuse with someone else. Enjoy.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieshowers View Post
I am not sure how anyone could side with AVID on this issue. Without being bogged down with semantics. No offense Guitardom.
None taken, HUI works. He said they are killing HUI. Where are they killing HUI?? As I stated in the past, its fine to be angry or upset, but at least be angry or upset about the facts, not some illusion of what you want to believe.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky3000 View Post
Guitardom.

I'm not going to play games with you. If you can read, it should be fairly obvious what this thread is about. Our surfaces are NOT "working as they always have."

Then again, nothing in PT11 works as it always has. It's wrought with bugs and problems, or maybe you need to take a browse through the first page of the PT11 software forum.

In any case, you can continue to be deliberately obtuse with someone else. Enjoy.
I can read, I am questioning your ability though. Where are you getting the idea they are killing HUI?? This is what you said. Making up stories and facts to suit your own anger and stories of assumptions helps no one. I dont know anyone with HUI issues with 11, and HUI is working just fine for me in 11. So either stick to the facts of the control surface issue, and if you dont know them (as seems to be the case) you should probably research them before making silly false statements.

11 is working just fine for me. What are your experiences with 11?? Or are you just repeating what you have heard from others?

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10