Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Re: iLok crossgrade question

Cubivore, there is no Ilok crossgrade with the hardware exchange deal. It has nothing to do with what software you have. It deals with hardware only.

I'm assuming you did the hardware trade in to HD Native, since that's the only offer right now for LE users.

Assuming that's the case, your old software is yours to do whatever you want with.

In your HD Native box, you will have an activation code for a brand new HD software license, exactly the same as if you bought it new without the trade-in deal. When you register that, an HD11/10 license will be sent to your Ilok account. There is no crossgrade or license surrender involved. You are just required to send in your LE hardware within 30 days, and that's all.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 AM

thanks for the reply nst,

yes, i did an LE hardware exchange (003) to native hd. i know all LE serials are tied to hardware and there are no ilok licenses associated with the LE8 i had. numerous times i tried explaining this to the avid cs person and they just didn't seem to get it. the only help they could offer was to install the new ilok manager. well, of course, that didn't help.

yes, i did receive an hd software activation card. the box says "Upgrade FROM Pro Tools HD" and every time i enter the code i get the same error as the OP: "There are no qualifying upgrade products on this iLok account." this leads me to believe this code is trying to find a license to surrender, which obviously doesn't exist. so my theory is that there are different activation codes for the different types of upgrades/exchages. in the OP's case it was an MP-11regular code; in my case, i was given HD-HD instead of LE-HD.

this whole exchange has been a nightmare. they didn't even send an ilok with the bundle!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 PM

This is sounding really fishy. Where did you buy this from? Ebay, or an authorized dealer?

Which box said "upgrade from HD"? If you got this trade in deal, you should have two boxes. One is your interface (Omni, HD IO, etc.), and the other is your HD Native PCIe card, or Thunderbolt version. That HD Native box should contain your HD Native card (or Thunderbolt version, a brand new Ilok 2, and a software activation card, along with documentation, and a couple of cables.

In other words, unless Avid has changed something very recently, your packages will be identical to what is given to people who don't do the trade in and buy it outright.

Can you elaborate more on exactly what you were given, how it was packaged, and more importantly, where you bought it from?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:40 PM

i bought the exchange through a dealer. i received 3 boxes: HD IO, Native Thunderbolt, HD software box. all boxes were sealed like normal, and the software box was shrinkwrapped. the software box (CD case sized) was separate from the other boxes and only contained a plastic card with an auth. code and no ilok2. the software box has the "Upgrade from PT HD; Software Download only; Exchange bundle only, not for sale separately" sticker on it.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 PM

I would contact that dealer, because it was obviously his mistake. He should do what he needs to do to get you the proper license.

As I mentioned, normally the activation card is in the HD native hardware box, unless maybe they do it different for the Thunderbolt version. I assume you checked that hardware box and there is no activation card?

Like I said, this dealer screwed up and needs to get it straightened out immediately, regardless of whether you have already tried to activate this card or not. He needs to straighten it out.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM

my dealer and i have been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks already. he had been trying to get info from avid who were less than helpful and basically told him that i need to contact the avid registration dept. which i did the other day. no doubt the release of pt11 during all this is imperfect timing and likely resulted in the wrong stuff being sent, but you would think the avid cs registration dept would be able to identify that this has happened before on numerous occasions and start the correction process.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 PM

also, check this out. here's a pic of the software box and the printed transaction sticker that was on the shrinkwrap. i've got to stick up for my dealer on this one cos it clearly says '00x HW exchange to HD' on there so the correct bundle was ordered. the label under that, however, says 'upgrade from HD' which to me sounds like HD-HD bundle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2439.jpg (36.4 KB, 0 views)