Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 AM

Default instability & lock-up problems - HELP!

I'm having really bad trouble with my setup where I can barely use Pro-Tools for around 5-10 minutes before it crashes or locks-up. The playback of my composition frequently stops with an error stating that I must increase the hardware buffer size. I've played around with all the available settings and never found PT to be happy.

When I try to 'save' my composition when playback is active, Pro-Tools will immediately lock up.
Also if select a new plugin into a track slot when playback is present, the same happens, a major lock-up that is difficult to get out of. When the system locks up, I get a loud buffer looping sound (like a snare being hit 100 times a second) and this repeats until I turn off the Digi rack or force the application to quit. Just to clarify, if I stop my composition, save it and the play again, it's usually ok, same goes for adding new instruments.

After PT has crashed, I 'sometimes' cannot re-boot and continue where I left off as I will be faced with an error saying the clock cannot read from the hardware. If I'm lucky enough to continue where I left off, the OS will force a shutdown with the 'power button splash' after around 4 or 5 crashes.

I'm hoping there is a simple explaination for my troubles. I used to have things working smoothly but I haven't touched my gear in 6 months. Now that I've come back to using PT I'm suffering with these issues.

Pro-Tools 7.3.1 cs4 running on the latest updates for Mac OSX Tiger.
4 x 3Ghz Mac Pro (mk I) with 10GB RAM and 1.5TB free HD storage.
Digi 002 Rack

Help!! Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 AM

Default Re: instability & lock-up problems - HELP!

1. Check that you have compatible plug-ins.

i) Navigate to Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-ins.
ii) Highlight each plug and press Apple 'I'.
iii) The 'kind of' field should say Universal or PowerPC. You should not have any of the latter type.

2. If you haven't already done so, Trash Prefs/DDB's and repair permissions (detailed instructions in Troubleshooting thread).

3. What is your HD configuration? External F/W drives? Daisy chaining? Have you tried the 002/HD's in different ports/configurations? Are you mixing F/W 400 and 800 spec.

4. When PT crashes are there any error messages/numbers?

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 06-11-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Re: instability & lock-up problems - HELP!

Hi,

Sorry I only got back to you on this thread months later.

I did check the plugins and they were all Universal Binaries. The were no error numbers as the application locked up. As for the drive, I was dedicating an internal HD for Pro-Tools.

In the end I never got this problem sorted out, I gave up last month. I've spend years listening to people tell me to migrate to Pro-Tools so obviously this software satisfies most users. Unfortunately for me it's been a huge waste of time and money. I'm using another DAW app now so I'm back up and running with my music.

I appreciate your efforts to help, thanks.