Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 10-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Default Is there only 1 midi editor?

I was working on this new project, I wanted to create drums and a bassline using Midi Editor, I have them written out already. However when I finished the drums, I inserted a New Midi Track and opened the editor because i wanted to now write the bass lines out (I do not own a bass guitar), but all the drum stuff was still there, can I only use the midi editor for only one instrument?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Is there only 1 midi editor?

Hello there...

From what I can work out, yes.
I've tried everything to change the midi editor to a different track, but can't.

So I changed the track to the midi editor.

Say for example your 'inst 1' is a Grand Piano, and your 'inst 2' is Big Strings... move the section of Big Strings midi data into a free region on the Grand Piano track and you'll be able to edit the section in midi editor... but as a Grand Piano. Once done, move the section back to the Big Strings track and hey presto! One edited midi section.

I'm only a new user so this process may be unnecessary, but it works for me!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 AM

I haven't used Pro Tools SE, but in PT9 you can use Track List in the MIDI Editor.
Look at the bottom, left corner of the MIDI Editor window. Is there a white, right arrow? Clicking on this will open the Track List.

I've just watched this SE video:
http://airusersblog.squarespace.com/...-mac-os-x.html
There doesn't seem to be a right arrow to open the track list.
He just seems to highlight the name of the track or the region for it to be displayed in the editor.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 AM

Hmm... That's interesting. It does seem that he can use the midi editor for all tracks... I can't for the life of me figure out how. If anyone has any further info...
Please share!!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 PM

ok i get the gist and I like it as a work around, but I can't drag or copy paste notes to one track to another.... got another work around? yours seems to be what I'm looking for but I don't quite understand getting the notes to the 2nd track... >.< sry!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 PM

specially this part "Once done, move the section back to the Big Strings track and hey presto! One edited midi section."